April 19, 2024, 07:13:10 PM

News:

120 Ultima

Started by capn, June 12, 2022, 03:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capn

Runnin a 120 Ultima in a 97 bagger.Been good for 4 or 5 yrs. 20 k miles.Had what I thought was a lifter tic but all was good in the cam chest tried different lifters same noise.Noise got worse sounds like its comin from the front rocker box.Very strange noise sounds loudest when I put the stethescope on the front pipe.I'm thinkin maybe broken valve spring.

fbn ent

A buddy broke a spring on his Ultima 113"
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

capn

fbn, did it make a funny noise?Not like a lifter not like a knock?

fbn ent

He said so. I didn't hear it. He was on his way cross country to Sturgis and stopped at a HD dealer. Bought a used bike and carried on. Picked it up later and took it to his indy and found a broken spring.

Deye76

Try quieting it by adjusting the pushrods, if the noise returns and can be quieted again by adjusting the pushrods further you have a cracked rocker arm. Have seen it before. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

capn

Yeah Deye had the pushrods out and readjusted twice today.Rocker  box comin off tomorrow.Probably the head also.

sfmichael

how have you liked the motor up til now?
Colorado Springs, CO.

capn

Update,everything inside rocker box is intact.Pulled the S&S  rockers out the look still new.Already buttoned it back up.

Deye76

Didn't realize you had S&S rocker arms in it. The Ultima rocker arms sometimes crack. Glad it's OK.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

Do the pushrod tubes need clearancing?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

capn

Hoss the tubes are clear but the noise is coming from that side.Just now double checked oil pressure.Starts and runs fine.Gonna pull the cam chest apart again .Did find some dirt in tappet screen.Might try cleaning out lifters.Does a bad pinion bearing make a knock?This is more like a slight tapping whirring sound.Never heard a noise like it before.

capn

Think I found the noise.Front oxygen sensor plug was loose and rattling.Just put these pipes back on after 3 yrs.Guess I forgot to tighten it after removing the afr sensor.My bad .Now I got the cam out,lifters out gotta put it back together.Thanks for all the input.

fbn ent

Ahhh the KISS principle....  :emoGroan: . Glad you have it figured.

capn

Its quiet now.I love a free fix.