April 18, 2024, 11:51:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Juice Brake

Started by 72fl, June 13, 2022, 02:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72fl

I just recently went through my Transmission putting new Main seal in and a Supernut, not related but I took it for a test ride and my rear drum brake is damn near locking up, I put it on the lift and backed off the two adjusters, took it for another short ride and it is grabbing again, I let it sit for a couple hours and it's like there's no problem when I push it around the shop. Is it the Rubber Hose Possibly collapsing and not letting the fluid return ? Other idea's ? 1972 FLH Juice rear Disc Front. Thanks

fbn ent

I am not familiar with HD juice brakes but IIRC all hydraulic brake systems require some free play at the master cylinder. If you have that the return port in the master is a good suspect. When was the last time you changed your fluid? Might be time for a rebuild on the master.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

roadkingdresser

Had the same problem with my 66,found the rubber hose on the rear had swelled almost shut.Replaced it and good. Hope this helps.
roadkingdresser

72fl

Quote from: fbn ent on June 13, 2022, 07:13:30 AMI am not familiar with HD juice brakes but IIRC all hydraulic brake systems require some free play at the master cylinder. If you have that the return port in the master is a good suspect. When was the last time you changed your fluid? Might be time for a rebuild on the master.
Fluid changed year ago.

72fl

Quote from: roadkingdresser on June 13, 2022, 07:44:07 AMHad the same problem with my 66,found the rubber hose on the rear had swelled almost shut.Replaced it and good. Hope this helps.

I was thinking Rubber Brake Hose is the issue, don't know if I should buy another rubber or buy a Russell Braided

Hossamania

The Russell will last longer and technically give better performance by not allowing any expansion under pressure. But the stock rubber hose will work fine for many years.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

72fl

Quote from: Hossamania on June 14, 2022, 04:37:04 AMThe Russell will last longer and technically give better performance by not allowing any expansion under pressure. But the stock rubber hose will work fine for many years.
I will try to find a Russell in Stock if not rubber it is. Thanks

roadkingdresser

The one i took off was the original. Cut it in 1" sections and couldn't believe how much it had closed up. Had me scratching my head till i did that.I'm sure a russel hose would be fine.
roadkingdresser

72fl

I bought a Russell and now I am going to try and find a Rear Brake Wheel Cylinder as being it is all apart now I'm doing it right, once I get this done then I'm doing the Front Brakes.

roadkingdresser

Take the old one to napa!
roadkingdresser

72fl

Quote from: roadkingdresser on July 08, 2022, 10:10:11 AMTake the old one to napa!

Our NAPA is a bunch of youngsters, are you talking for rebuild parts or for a cylinder ?

Fugawee

A Buddy of Mine needed a Rear Brake Cylinder last year.  He found and got one on E-bay that was from Drag Specialties for around 40-50 bucks.  Worked just fine, no issues with it.

roadkingdresser

The one for my 66 flh was a wagner F-15427.
roadkingdresser