April 19, 2024, 07:00:45 AM

News:

Outer primary

Started by Wookie3011, June 14, 2022, 08:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wookie3011

Will an outer primary cover for touring or street glide fit Fatboy 2016? Thanks

turboprop

Have you looked at both of these primary covers? I bet if you did the answer would present itself very clearly.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Wookie3011

No sir, actually it's a internet sale. Used primary cover powder coated. I know some of them have a hole for the shifter in them like Dynas. However judging by your response I'm assuming no. I appreciate the help

JSD

Breeze

I'll add a little detail to the "no". Dyna's and Softails have a long primary, touring frames have short primaries.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Wookie3011

Quote from: Breeze on June 15, 2022, 03:26:13 AMI'll add a little detail to the "no". Dyna's and Softails have a long primary, touring frames have short primaries.

I appreciate all the responses. I didn't realize softails had a shorter primary. Is this do to the oil pan differences?

Hossamania

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 18, 2022, 09:36:08 AM
Quote from: Breeze on June 15, 2022, 03:26:13 AMI'll add a little detail to the "no". Dyna's and Softails have a long primary, touring frames have short primaries.

I appreciate all the responses. I didn't realize softails had a shorter primary. Is this do to the oil pan differences?

Or, you know, a longer primary ...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 18, 2022, 09:36:08 AM

You still are not getting it. I am not going to give you a fish, but will teach you how to fish. Go back to my only other reply in this thread. I doubt you have actually looked at the primary covers for the various types of Harleys, but if you would spend maybe five minutes on ebay the differences would be very clear to you. So go on ebay and search softail outer primary cover. The year is irrelevant. Do the same thing for harley touring outer primary cover. The delta will be very obvious.

jmorton10

I get the biggest kick out of your posts Ed lol  :SM:  :SM:

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Wookie3011

I see it!!! Took me a few but I understand why now. BETA VS Alpha. Beta has balancers therefore is longer to go from crank to clutch. Sorry I was lazy about looking at it before asking. Thanks for keeping me honest Ed.

turboprop

Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 20, 2022, 12:52:15 AMI see it!!! Took me a few but I understand why now. BETA VS Alpha. Beta has balancers therefore is longer to go from crank to clutch. Sorry I was lazy about looking at it before asking. Thanks for keeping me honest Ed.

Still missing it. The balancers have nothing to do with it. Look at softails and dyna's prior to the twin cam with balancers.

Wookie3011

I've looked and looked. This is a best guess but... only thing that makes sense to me is MAYBE the location of the shocks and needed travel for the geometry of the design requires mounting the Transmission further away. Again this is just a guess. Without ever actually owning the different bikes to have the opportunity to work on each one, all I have is a guess. It does make sense  as I can see the difference in mounting locations on the Tranny.

cheech

All the Softail and Dyna primaries have a sharp corner top rear (top right if looking directly at it).
The touring and FXR are rounded at that same area.

Dan89flstc

I can`t stand it any longer...

Softail and Dyna, long primary.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic