March 29, 2024, 03:58:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Modify a 73-up oil pump

Started by xlfan, October 28, 2022, 05:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Has anyone modified a 73-up oil pump for use on a late panhead or an early shovelhead?
The S&S billet style oil pump doesn't look quite right on a stock or an old school build in my head.

HogMike

October 28, 2022, 05:43:07 AM #1 Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 10:55:00 AM by HogMike
Quote from: xlfan on October 28, 2022, 05:27:03 AMHas anyone modified a 73-up oil pump for use on a late panhead or an early shovelhead?
The S&S billet style oil pump doesn't look quite right on a stock or an old school build in my head.

You can still get the stock 58-73? Style if you want the stock look. If 73 and up, they are a lot cheaper.
Stock bike with stock pump will work fine.
I'm not quite sure what you are " modifying " on the pump?

About $400 or so on pricing I think.
 :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

JSD

Upgrade to 73 on oil pump drive gears 6/24 Pre were 5/25 also im using S&S 31-6200 pump 

drinner-okc

I have upgraded two (2) Pan engines with the -73 oil pump drive & driven gears, retaining the stock cast iron pumps. One engine still uses the side hole in the Pinion & a 3-hole crank pin.  The other engine has not been installed yet but has the Pinion shaft drilled for end oiling & uses an Eastern 2-hole crank pin. Both engines have Hydraulic Lifters & good tight Rocker Arm Blocks. They are both Outside Oiler Top Ends.

xlfan

Quote from: HogMike on October 28, 2022, 05:43:07 AM
Quote from: xlfan on October 28, 2022, 05:27:03 AMHas anyone modified a 73-up oil pump for use on a late panhead or an early shovelhead?

You can still get the stock 58-73? Style if you want the stock look. If 73 and up, they are a lot cheaper.
Stock bike with stock pump will work fine.
I'm not quite sure what you are " modifying " on the pump?

About $400 or so on pricing I think.
 :nix:
I have a 73-up pump,  but I'm not sure how to deal with the side oiling vs end oiling difference.

JSD

S&S site. Also there drill jig. Plug cam plate pinion relief hole and cut a grove in bush to make 360 degree oil feed to pinion shaft . Not sure but think .060" grove?