April 26, 2024, 03:42:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

H-D app - Does it route correctly?

Started by pauly, November 06, 2023, 10:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly

Hi all,

I recently downloaded the H-D app, to plan some rides, and proceeded to plan a day ride, along some windy roads and ridges etc. yesterday morning, I loaded the route into the bike (23 flhtk, using the app) and it all seemed fine , but my nav directed us to the correct waypoints, but not using the way I had selected. It navigated using what seemed the most direct route rather than the bread roads I had planned. The only thing I'd selected to 'avoid' in the app was in paved roads, but there were none on the chosen route anyway.
Do I have to reload the ride every time I turn the bike off, or is there something else I may have done wrong, or, is the app a little dodgy and this is expected behaviour?
Thanks
Pauly :scratch:  :scratch:

HogMike

I've tried using the HD planner and gave up.
And the regular NAV system loaded on the bike doesn't work that way either.

I'm happy using CarPlay through my phone and just ask to take me to my next destination.
I can change the route instantly in case I want to avoid construction, or weather or whatever. I tell my phone to just take me to : next stop.

Used this method for the last 5 years and it works for me!

:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

FLSTFIDave

The HD app and NAV take a bit of patients and work to get it to route you exactly how you want to go. The avoidances have to be set the same on the App and the bike.  Next you have to use a whole lot of way points.  You have to say you turn on to a road, not just one at the turn, but many along that road to keep you on it.

I use CarPlay for simple point to point destinations.  But for a scenic route our loop, I use the App.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

pauly

Hi HogMike,

That's what I'm doing too now. It's surprising that Apple Maps don't allow you to string a bunch of destinations together and let you just ride it. Instead we have to move to the next stop each time we arrive at the previous one which is quite distracting. I'm sure it'll happen one day.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: HogMike on November 10, 2023, 10:16:25 AMI've tried using the HD planner and gave up.
And the regular NAV system loaded on the bike doesn't work that way either.

I'm happy using CarPlay through my phone and just ask to take me to my next destination.
I can change the route instantly in case I want to avoid construction, or weather or whatever. I tell my phone to just take me to : next stop.

Used this method for the last 5 years and it works for me!

:missed:

pauly

Hi FLSTFIDave,
That's what I'm doing now too. With the experiences I've had thus far with the Harley app, I'll give it a miss. Although the app is aimed squarely at having a good ride it sort of falls short. Carplay has the advantage of up to the minute updates, traffic reports, and no need to pay a few hundred dollars every few years for updates.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on November 11, 2023, 04:15:02 AMThe HD app and NAV take a bit of patients and work to get it to route you exactly how you want to go. The avoidances have to be set the same on the App and the bike.  Next you have to use a whole lot of way points.  You have to say you turn on to a road, not just one at the turn, but many along that road to keep you on it.

I use CarPlay for simple point to point destinations.  But for a scenic route our loop, I use the App.

FLSTFIDave

Pauly,

For direct travel, or quick routing to a restaurant or such I always use CarPlay, Apple. Like you said, shows traffic and such. 

I use the H-D app for loops or scenic rides, main reason is CarPlay, Apple just can't do that.  Takes time and lots of way points to force the H-D app to route the way I want it to go.  However once I'm in a the area I want specific routes its nice to have the turn by turn and go exactly how I want to.

pauly

Hi FLSTFIDave,
 I've found CarPlay Can actually do that, however it's not as I expected.
What I've been doing is entering a destination, then adding another, then another etc etc, till I end up wit the route I want. Then, press go, and it's great.m
The only downside it that I've had to remove each destination as I get to it, otherwise CarPlay advises you to do,a u turn. It's quite doable, and I now have the habit of deleting each destination just before I get to it.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on December 23, 2023, 03:31:29 AMPauly,

For direct travel, or quick routing to a restaurant or such I always use CarPlay, Apple. Like you said, shows traffic and such. 

I use the H-D app for loops or scenic rides, main reason is CarPlay, Apple just can't do that.  Takes time and lots of way points to force the H-D app to route the way I want it to go.  However once I'm in a the area I want specific routes its nice to have the turn by turn and go exactly how I want to.

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: pauly on December 23, 2023, 03:51:43 AMHi FLSTFIDave,
 I've found CarPlay Can actually do that, however it's not as I expected.
What I've been doing is entering a destination, then adding another, then another etc etc, till I end up wit the route I want. Then, press go, and it's great.m
The only downside it that I've had to remove each destination as I get to it, otherwise CarPlay advises you to do,a u turn. It's quite doable, and I now have the habit of deleting each destination just before I get to it.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: FLSTFIDave on December 23, 2023, 03:31:29 AMPauly,

Interesting, I may give that a try some time.