August 12, 2022, 05:13:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Alto clutch

Started by Chippitt68, June 18, 2022, 11:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

June 18, 2022, 11:16:52 AM Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 03:51:38 PM by FSG
I have an alto clutch in my 82 flh. There are no oil lines running out of the primary so it's sealed. I changed the oil in the primary and put formula + in up to the bottom of clutch basket. I started it, pulled in the clutch and dropped it in gear and it lurched forward and stalled. Overfilled primary I guess. I have it apart and clutch looks like it's in reasonably good condition. I looked on Alto web site and they appear to be Carbonite friction plates. If anyone is running this clutch set up, I would appreciate suggestions on what fluid you run and how much. Any other thoughts or suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

misfitJason

I run their carbonate clutch on my dyna. I just use Harley primary oil.  I have also used amsoil. When I called alto to ask what they suggest and how much, the guy just told me to use the stock level and not atf fluid.
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

fbn ent

You can run 50W engine oil too. That is what was in it from the oiling system. Engine oil or primary oil. Dino or synthetic either one. Fill to the bottom of the clutch basket on the sidestand. Doesn't take much.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Chippitt68

Quote from: fbn ent on June 18, 2022, 09:54:14 PMYou can run 50W engine oil too. That is what was in it from the oiling system. Engine oil or primary oil. Dino or synthetic either one. Fill to the bottom of the clutch basket on the sidestand. Doesn't take much.
Thanks. I did notice there wasn't much in there when I changed the primary fluid. But, it's a shovel and it does drip here and there. No mention in the manual. There are many things on this 40 year old bike that have been replaced, removed or redone. Not the stock hub, shell, or plates.

Chippitt68

I believe this is sorted. Took it apart and cleaned the frictions and steels. I wiped the frictions down with atf and reinstalled. I used the specs in manual to set the springs and adjust the clutch. I put 8oz of atf in the primary and went for a short ride. Still need a small adjustment on the clutch. I took inspection cover off and the trans fluid is on the starter ring gear. The chain seemed like it was damp,but not soaked. I do not want to overfill, so I'll add few ounces at a time until I can see it on the chain. If any thoughts I'd be happy to hear.

Chippitt68

Quote from: misfitJason on June 18, 2022, 12:49:32 PMI run their carbonate clutch on my dyna. I just use Harley primary oil.  I have also used amsoil. When I called alto to ask what they suggest and how much, the guy just told me to use the stock level and not atf fluid.
Weird. The website says fine if primary is separate from motor and trans. I decided to use the atf because it seemed like many do.