March 28, 2024, 04:03:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

76 Shovel - getting S&S oil pump - breather too?

Started by dbdevkc, August 27, 2022, 08:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbdevkc

After having this motor apart for quite a while, I am now looking to start reassembly. Have a new cam, and plan to get an S&S oil pump, and I know about the drilling I'll need to do to use that pump. I thought I recalled reading on here  somewhere (but can't seem to find it now) about using the S&S breather with their pump and reasons for that. Also something about checking the pinion gear with the new cam gear.
KC

JSD

It was the pre 73 that needed drilling to convert to 73 on system

Ohio HD

Quote from: dbdevkc on August 27, 2022, 08:04:32 PMAfter having this motor apart for quite a while, I am now looking to start reassembly. Have a new cam, and plan to get an S&S oil pump, and I know about the drilling I'll need to do to use that pump. I thought I recalled reading on here  somewhere (but can't seem to find it now) about using the S&S breather with their pump and reasons for that. Also something about checking the pinion gear with the new cam gear.

The oil pump has no direct effect to the breather system in the Shovel motor. When running a larger cubic inch motor, and a very radical cam you would open the port in the right side case to allow a sooner opening for the valve crossing past the port. Stock cubic inches. I'd leave it alone.

If anything, I'd have someone with a cam fixture to swap the cam gear on the new cam for the OEM HD cam gear. You need a fixture in order to retain the cams valve timing. This assuming the OEM cam gear is in good shape.

billbuilds

Quote from: JSD on August 27, 2022, 08:29:44 PMIt was the pre 73 that needed drilling to convert to 73 on system

S&S pumps use the 81 and up style oiling so there is still a hole he'll need to drill near the top of the pump at a diagonal into the cam chest. My digital camera decided to give up the ghost the other day or I'd share a pic.

JSD