April 24, 2024, 04:07:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam lobe wear

Started by billbuilds, June 20, 2022, 11:53:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

June 20, 2022, 11:53:12 AM Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:34:51 PM by FSG
    This is the worst spot on the four lobes of the S&S 570CE's that I was running with spring loaded tensioners. Apparently the lifter rollers got some air at some point in time. Is it not wise to continue to run these? probably easier to tell with a magnifying glass but I couldn't get a good shot. Been dragging my feet on this since I really didn't want to have to spring for new cams plus I'm fortunate to have another bike to ride. But it's way past time I got this thing running. I do have manual comp releases now so I don't need the easy starts. Your thoughts please.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

FXDBI

How many miles on them?   Bob

billbuilds

Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

smoserx1

June 20, 2022, 02:36:09 PM #3 Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:35:46 PM by FSG
It is almost impossible to diagnose anything like this from a photo....especially if a flash was used.  The flash tends to create many tiny reflections at wear spots that make things look worse.  14K miles is not much.  here is a 203 I pulled out of mine about 11 years ago with 50K and gave to a buddy who ran them several more years.  I would probably reuse the one you show.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

billbuilds

Thanks for sharing the photo and your experience with that cam. Thinking that I shouldn't be so hesitant to throw mine back in.