July 01, 2022, 12:22:01 PM

News:


Automotive tach on your twin cam

Started by Samsquanch, June 21, 2022, 02:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Samsquanch

Has anyone installed an automotive tach on a twin cam and successfully got an accurate reading? If so, share your wiring and electronic secrets, please.

"Install a bike tach, dummy"

-no

speedzter

Haven't done it with a Twin cam, but there are a few ways to do it.
Use a Tacho' that has a switchable cylinder selection, or use a universal RPM converter box.
Preferably use a Tacho' with a servo or stepper motor for vibration stability .

You only need the ignition coil drive signal, power and ground.

CarlosGGodfrog

Be careful, as mid sixties Ford and Faria tachs go in SERIES with the points, and will blow out if hooked up like a Sun tach.

krhnh

Not sure about auto tachs, but people have said that they were able to pick up the tach signal on their TC for an electronic tachometer by tapping into the pink wire under the tank console. Something to look into if you need to find the signal.

Samsquanch

Quote from: krhnh on June 22, 2022, 03:28:42 PMNot sure about auto tachs, but people have said that they were able to pick up the tach signal on their TC for an electronic tachometer by tapping into the pink wire under the tank console. Something to look into if you need to find the signal.

Thanks!

jty

2008 touring tc the speed sensor is on top of transmission behind starter. 2"3 wires, brown/orange is +5v to sensor, black/yellow is ground, white/green is speed sensor to ecm.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office

Hossamania

Quote from: jty on June 25, 2022, 11:22:24 AM2008 touring tc the speed sensor is on top of transmission behind starter. 2"3 wires, brown/orange is +5v to sensor, black/yellow is ground, white/green is speed sensor to ecm.

I'm curious how this info helps with a tach hookup.
We learn from history that we do not learn from history

jmorton10

Why bother with an auto tach??

There are plenty of high quality tachs (IE Autometer) that are designed for high performance bikes....

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

Quote from: jmorton10 on June 26, 2022, 12:57:33 PMWhy bother with an auto tach??

There are plenty of high quality tachs (IE Autometer) that are designed for high performance bikes....

~John

Per the op: -no
We learn from history that we do not learn from history

jmorton10

Sorry about that, I just skimmed the OP quickly (I hate it when posters do that lol) & missed that.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jty

Quote from: Hossamania on June 26, 2022, 11:00:20 AM
Quote from: jty on June 25, 2022, 11:22:24 AM2008 touring tc the speed sensor is on top of transmission behind starter. 2"3 wires, brown/orange is +5v to sensor, black/yellow is ground, white/green is speed sensor to ecm.

I'm curious how this info helps with a tach hookup.
It doesn't. Sorry, brain fart. :oops:
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office