April 17, 2024, 08:46:03 PM

News:

2003 flhrci, stops when hot

Started by xlfan, June 23, 2022, 06:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

No codes set at Speedo read-out. Engine stops when hot and throttle backed off for coasting or stopping (starts again after cooling approx. 10 min).
Which sensor would be the most suspectible for a heat related cut-out at idle?

kd

Engine temperature sensor.  Doesn't throw a code and is fairly common.  It will gradually get worse and cause engine running symptoms that include backfiring and popping, stalling and hard to start until cooled down some.
KD

fleetmechanic

xlfan

Is it possible to bench test the temp sensor with a hot air gun and DVOM?

kd

Did you check your factory service manual?
KD

xlfan

Yes, it calls for the Scanalyzer that  caved in last year  :emsad:

fleetmechanic

I think the Electronic Diag manual offers resistance tests for those.

Hossamania

According to Ronnie's, a new temp sensor is $40, not cheap, but maybe easier to just swap it out as it seems suspect from the info here?
The other part we used to suspect when stopping during a hot run is a bad coil, but those seem to be pretty robust, not many failures reported that I see here.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fbn ent

Quote from: Hossamania on June 23, 2022, 12:33:08 PMAccording to Ronnie's, a new temp sensor is $40, not cheap, but maybe easier to just swap it out as it seems suspect from the info here?
The other part we used to suspect when stopping during a hot run is a bad coil, but those seem to be pretty robust, not many failures reported that I see here.
That is true. I have a "spare" coil from guessing... :emoGroan:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

60Gunner

I agree coil failures are rare but I don't think a temp sensor would shut it down either. A coil would tho. Could see if rapid cooling of the coil speeds up the restart. Or if keeping it cool artificially keeps it from shutting down as quickly if at all. Done this once on my sporty when it was suspect.

Hossamania

Good point, could hit the coil with some keyboard cleaner or other cold spray of choice to see if it fires back up. If not, hit the temp sensor, then the crank sensor? Or vice versa.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Quote from: 60Gunner on June 23, 2022, 02:04:33 PMI agree coil failures are rare but I don't think a temp sensor would shut it down either. A coil would tho. Could see if rapid cooling of the coil speeds up the restart. Or if keeping it cool artificially keeps it from shutting down as quickly if at all. Done this once on my sporty when it was suspect.

Just to be clear, a bad temp sensor WILL eventually shut it down.  The early symptoms if you are lucky enough to notice them are as the OP describes.  I have personally experienced it and not just once.  No code is thrown for this.
KD

60Gunner

June 23, 2022, 06:04:18 PM #12 Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 06:24:23 PM by 60Gunner
Quote from: kd on June 23, 2022, 02:35:47 PM
Quote from: 60Gunner on June 23, 2022, 02:04:33 PMI agree coil failures are rare but I don't think a temp sensor would shut it down either. A coil would tho. Could see if rapid cooling of the coil speeds up the restart. Or if keeping it cool artificially keeps it from shutting down as quickly if at all. Done this once on my sporty when it was suspect.

Just to be clear, a bad temp sensor WILL eventually shut it down.  The early symptoms if you are lucky enough to notice them are as the OP describes.  I have personally experienced it and not just once.  No code is thrown for this.

I don't doubt you. I've just never seen it. Hell my wire connector came off when Jason had it on the dyno leaving it without a temp sensor at all. He just happened to notice the temp wasn't moving on his computer screen when he did a pull to 6200.  The locking tab doesn't fit tight.   
The coil I have seen. It won't throw a code either. Packed ice around it to cool it.
Throwing an ohmeter on it can be deceiving if it's already cooling down and giving normal readings when you do. Same with the temp sensor if it's only whacking out when it's hot I 'spose.
Personally I'd rule out the coil first. Then just replace the temp sensor since they go to crap all the time anyway and not that expensive.
But not my bike. Just passing on an experience I had trying  to troubleshoot this same issue that turned out to be the coil that tested good on the ohmeter using a method I can't take credit for. It was Aaron Wilson who suggested it and he was spot on..

xlfan

Engine temp sensor was right on the money. Finally got one, symptom gone.

Thanks

kd

KD

Coyote

Quote from: kd on June 23, 2022, 02:35:47 PMJust to be clear, a bad temp sensor WILL eventually shut it down.