April 23, 2024, 05:31:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil leak, screeching noise in primary

Started by chas, June 24, 2022, 10:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

I have an oil drip that is hitting my front exhaust pipe about half way down. I had changed out the pushrods and thought I had forgotten the oring up inside, but it was there. Maybe coming from rocker cover gasket? Only other place it could be right? Also I have a small screeching noise that I hear coming from the primary! Any thoughts on this? Many thanks in advance- Chas

kd

Year and model, mods, etc is important information.  You'll also have to give more info on the screeching noise.  When it happens and what it takes to reproduce it would be a good start.  WAG I'd think cam tensioners.   Sounds travel and fool you sometimes. Try a stethoscope or similar method to nail down exactly where it is.

As far as the oil leak, it's on the wrong side to be associated with a primary.  Feel the bottom of your breather or just remove the cover and check the filter and throat of the intake for oil.  It may be head breathers bypassing.  If so get back to the thread with that info and a simple test of the breather valves.
KD

Norton Commando

I had a screeching noise from the primary on my 1990 FLHS on two occasions.  Both times I discovered that the transmission pulley nut had backed-off and was rubbing against the primary case.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.