March 28, 2024, 01:06:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Vance & Hines Hi Output slip-ons are too loud

Started by Swamp Rat Eddie, June 29, 2022, 11:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp Rat Eddie

I recently went backwards and traded in my completely stock 2017 Road King for a new to me 2015 CVO Road Glide. I love the new bike, but the Vance & Hines Hi Output slip-ons are just to much on long trips.

1) Ride about 600 miles to and from work every 2 weeks,and after a couple hundred miles the drone gets in my head. I have to wear ear plugs the whole trip.

2) Don't have as much low end power as I did on the M8, although, from 3K and up, it really rips. Much more power than my 2008 CVO road King from a few years ago...

I have seen the "Quiet" Baffles on the V& H website. My question is: are they much quieter, or should I look for some different slip-ons?

If so, What are some good options?

I have had the stock exhaust on a 2007 Wide Glide and 2007 Ultra Classic. I have also had CVO slip-ons with Fullsac 2" baffles, on a 96" TC. The 2008 CVO Road King had a Bassani RR 2 into 1, and it was definitely too loud for my taste. I did like the Fullsac sound,(but should have gone with the 1.75" on the 96"TC)

If the quiet baffles aren't going to do the trick, I would like to find some used CVO muffs and do the 2.0" baffles again.(110 vs 96). I have also seen quite a following for the old Crusher Mellows.

I do have the tuner, that the previous owner left with the bike, a SERT, and will get a new tune done with whatever I do.

What are y'alls experience with quieter exhaust? I'm mostly on long trips on my bike, and don't ride in the city very much, if I can avoid it, so personal comfort is my primary concern.

Looking forward to your suggestions/comments.

Ed

72fl

I can tell you if you don't like the V&H stay away from the D&D

TN

I like the fullsac choice just because of the variety and cost. I ran the 1.75"  with stock headpipe on my 110 for 60k miles. The last 25k miles has been a 117" with the 2.25" and the fullsac headpipe, the latter does have some bark when getting on it. I've got a set of the 2" sitting on my shelf but haven't tried them yet. It sounds like the 1.75" is for you just by your expectations. Nice choice on the new ride, what color did you get?
Just Ride..........

Thermodyne

They are loud.  And they suffer from a lot of reversion.

I swapped mine out for a set of Mk45's.  A lot quieter at part throttle.

Jim Bronson

I recently installed V&H Pro Pipes on my 2013 Dyna 110 build. I didn't like the bark of the standard baffle, so I installed quiet baffles, and they suppressed some of the harshness, but they still work well.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Swamp Rat Eddie

TN, mine is the Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset.

The previous owner added a quick detatch kit for the tour pack, a Vance & Hines Power Duals headpipe and the Hi Output slip-ons, Electro Glo run/brake/turn saddlebag lights, and Custom Dynamics Bullet Ringz LED front and rear turn signals.

It has the TPMS caps on the tires, but I'll have to buy a Garmin to use that. I do like the idea of being able to check tire pressures without pulling the saddlebag.I'd probably check them a lot more often.

Ed

TN

For TPMS look at the FOBO2, reasonably priced too. Cellphone is your monitor. $100. I got that info reading on this site.You cannot see attachments on this board.
Just Ride..........

jmorton10

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

m1marty

I can not recommend Khromewerks exhaust enough. Either the full system or in your case the mufflers with either the "spoon" baffle or the small louvered baffle. Tune easy, make fantastic power and sound even better
OFFO

Finn

Quote from: m1marty on July 01, 2022, 04:16:09 PMI can not recommend Khromewerks exhaust enough. Either the full system or in your case the mufflers with either the "spoon" baffle or the small louvered baffle. Tune easy, make fantastic power and sound even better
I have Khrome Werks slip-ons on my FLSTC. Nice deep growl but not too much. I like them a lot! :up:
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Ratfade

I just bought a 2009 Heritage Classic which came with the V & H long, straight, hot, whatever shots. I'm going to install the quiet baffles in the next couple of days; I'll report back.

Swamp Rat Eddie

Amazon delivered my quiet baffles yesterday. I am installing them tonight,(hopefully). I'll let y'all know what I think tomorrow!

Ed

Swamp Rat Eddie

Quiet baffles in! Getting the end caps/ baffles out was about an hour long job, for me. After that, the new baffles installed in about 20 minutes.

Idle is definitely quieter. My neighbor even commented on that. Can't tell a lot of difference when rolling on the throttle aggressively, but I'm OK with that. Big test will be when I go on my next long ride.

I do have to get the stuff to repack the right side slip on. It was pretty much unraveled when it came out.
That will make it even quieter.

If this doesn't do the trick, I may try those Krome-Werks. More to follow later on.

Ed

Ratfade

My quiet baffles arrived yesterday; wrong size. Rats.
I'll return them and maybe just wrap the existing baffles in fiberglass.
On the plus side, the original baffles were extremely easy to remove. I've never had any come out so easily. I should've known something would go wrong. Hah.