April 27, 2024, 10:25:19 PM

News:

Stock -02 TC lifters

Started by xlfan, November 01, 2022, 11:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

What would the roller life expectancy be for the stock B lifters and the stock C lifters?

Hossamania

My stock B lifters are running over 100,000 miles, installed in '05, if that helps.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Big Cahuna

A couple years ago I replaced the stock lifters in my '05 Road King, with a set of SE lifters. Nothing was wrong with them, and they were quiet. The only reason they were replaced as I replaced the cams and had a case of the "might as wells". The stock ones had a little over 65 k on them. I did have a lifter wheel bearing come apart in my '93 Evo engine. That turned out to be a mess.,,,

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on November 01, 2022, 12:10:37 PMMy stock B lifters are running over 100,000 miles, installed in '05, if that helps.

I should clarify that these were installed in an '01 RK in '05 due to a cam change.

smoserx1

Nobody has addressed the "C" lifters.  Are they still as bad as everyone was saying when they came out?

98fxstc

Quote from: Hossamania on November 01, 2022, 12:10:37 PMMy stock B lifters are running over 100,000 miles, installed in '05, if that helps.

What cams are you running Hoss ?
Curious about the seat pressure and lift that goes with that lifter life.

Hossamania

November 02, 2022, 07:10:03 PM #6 Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 09:02:51 PM by Hossamania
I'm running Andrews N55G cams, gear drive, higher lift requiring aftermarket springs, but not a radical lift. Couldn't tell you what the springs or spring pressures are. I can try and find the build sheet to identify the springs used if you want.

98fxstc

Quote from: Hossamania on November 02, 2022, 07:10:03 PMI'm running Andrews N55G cams, gear drive, higher lift requiring aftermarket springs, but not a radical lift. Couldn't tell you what the springs or spring pressures are. I can try and find the build sheet to identify the springs used if you want.

No, that's ok Hoss
I was just trying to get a rough idea of how much stress they are under.

Hossamania

Quote from: 98fxstc on November 02, 2022, 11:32:29 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on November 02, 2022, 07:10:03 PMI'm running Andrews N55G cams, gear drive, higher lift requiring aftermarket springs, but not a radical lift. Couldn't tell you what the springs or spring pressures are. I can try and find the build sheet to identify the springs used if you want.

No, that's ok Hoss
I was just trying to get a rough idea of how much stress they are under.

Evidently they are not under a lot of stress as this motor has held together thru thousands and thousands of redline runs, overrevving many times with missed shifts, banging off the limiter at full throttle shifts over and over again, full speed runs for miles at a time. Eagle Jim did a hell of a job on these heads is all I can say.
At some point I fully expect a rod to shoot straight out the side of the case and blow my leg off.

Deye76

Quote from: smoserx1 on November 02, 2022, 09:50:59 AMNobody has addressed the "C" lifters.  Are they still as bad as everyone was saying when they came out?

I replaced the C lifters on 2 of my TC's shortly after purchase (new), used S&S on one and the Johnson's from WFO Larry on the other. Both doing well. After having a failure (catastrophic in a TC), once bitten, twice shy.                                                                 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

When I bought my '12 Ultra, the "C" lifters were clattering at 18,000 miles. I made the indy dealer change them, I paid the difference for them to put in S&S standard lifters.
Almost 40,000 miles on these and seem to be fine.

Big Cahuna

A bit late to the dance but, I put 65k on the stock lifters in my Road King with stock cams. When I changed the tensioners, I had a set of SE lifters I put in with a set of 203 cams. Only issue I ever had was shortly after the install, several times on cold start the lifter sounded like they drained down for about 30 seconds, then were fine. Ran fine after the first 1k miles, right up to the point I wrecked it.,,

JSD

S&S only offer precision lifters now. They dropped the Supreme for some reason?that have been good to my build

smoserx1

Lifters are funny.  The original ones in my 99 FLHT clattered loud from day one on initial startup but got quiet within a split second.  Couple of years later I have a cam bearing failure (common back then) and got B lifters installed.  One or more of those got loud after the engine warmed up, but this went away after about 5000 miles of use.  Went through 2 or 3 sets of B lifters, each changed with about 60K on them.  Last cam service I did I used comp cams v-thunder ones since B lifters are gone.  These would "tick" when cold for a couple of miles, but now a year or so later they don't seem to do that anymore.