March 28, 2024, 08:34:36 AM

News:

Interesting article about fuel.

Started by motorhogman, July 01, 2022, 12:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorhogman

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Ohio HD

That's a very interesting article. Might be a little costly for daily use. But for racing, it's not that expensive at all.

motorhogman

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 01, 2022, 12:35:52 PMThat's a very interesting article. Might be a little costly for daily use. But for racing, it's not that expensive at all.

I found the part about "octane boosters" informative. I always thought they would increase power to some level. Apparently they just reduce the chance of a spark knock. 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Ohio HD

Quote from: motorhogman on July 01, 2022, 12:40:02 PMI found the part about "octane boosters" informative. I always thought they would increase power to some level. Apparently they just reduce the chance of a spark knock. 

True, the power gain comes from being able to add more timing and or compression without detonation.

Hossamania

Correct, a higher octane in and of itself does not add power if the motor cannot take advantage of it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

smoserx1

Good article.  I knew that octane is now rated as (MON + RON)/2 and has been in the USA for a long time now.  Back when I was in high school most premium pump gas was rated near 100 and then one day it came WAY WAY down.  Everybody was complaining but they had just change the rating criteria, still ran fine.  Other exaggerated stuff from that era comes to mind like audio amplifier power and car engine horsepower, exaggerated like crazy back in our glory days.  One thing I did read and believe is octane, however you want to rate it can be achieved by  refining or additives or a combination.  I read that "straight gasoline", or the initial distilled product has an octane only in the mid 60s, basically unsuitable for any engine today and must be refined further for use.  However you do it though the BTU per gallon of any non-alcohol laced gasoline product somewhere in the ballpark of 120000 Btu per gallon and this is fairly independent of the octane rating.

kd

The one comment at the end of the article is important information.  It can make the product an expensive and troublesome venture.
KD

WhipLash96

I sell racing fuel along with fuel additives. In my experience with selling racing fuel to racers is that most of them have NO CLUE what fuel to use for their application.  A lot of racers copy other racers blindly. "Hey, he uses this fuel and our set up is similar so I'm going to use the same fuel." Fuel selection should never be done based on its octane value alone. There are many components to racing fuel that need to be considered. Things such as the Specific Gravity, RVP Point, Leaded or Unleaded, Oxygenated or Non Oxygenated all come into play.
Thanks,
Whip