April 23, 2024, 11:03:55 AM

News:

Cobra POWRPRO BLACK

Started by mayor, July 03, 2022, 05:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

I stopped at a local import bike shop on Friday.  The parts counter guy just recently bought an EFI '04 Night Train.  He told me that he put a Cobra Powrpro Black system on it when he installed a set of pipes.  He told me that the bike hasn't been running right since.  I'm not familiar with this set up, so I told him that I would look into that system to see what kind of tunability it had, to see if I could help him make the bike run better.  I went to Cobra's website, and there doesn't seem to be a manual available to download.  I watched a couple of videos on Youtube, but there wasn't many that weren't just marketing fluff about how this is plug and play.  I saw a couple showing that the system does some broad changes to fuel (add or subtract), but it doesn't appear to make specific cell changes like flash tuners or even throttle range changes like the PowerCommander 3's or 5's.  It also doesn't appear to have the ability to add new maps/calibrations.

The big issue I'm seeing with his set up is that he has a completely open loop system, so there would be zero feedback for the unit to make any corrections.  It really seems to me that this system is only making broad changes like you would by changing jets in a carb (adding or subtracting fuel over the whole map). 

Is there something I'm missing with this system? I this system capable of being custom tuned in conjunction with a WEGO? It doesn't look like it to me.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Coyote

Looks like it measures acceleration by reading crank shaft rotation and claims to adjust fuel based on that.  Doesn't appear to be user tunable at all.

mayor

I think the original version of this launched at one of the last Vtwin Expo's that we were at.  I seem to remember the claims regarding tuning based on flywheel momentum. 

This is the only video I could find that shows the fuel controls available in the app:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBCVuDgX_ag

It really looks like broad changes.

I think I will politely decline trying to do anything with this system.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

hrdtail78

I think it's basic principle is the same with this one.  My rep has tried to get me one of these for testing.  No luck.   But in theory, I should be able to add on top of a tune and see improvement.  Seems like a better strategy for ignition over fuel. 

https://tier1tuners.com/
Semper Fi

rigidthumper

I thought the PPB was made for 07 and up (O2 sensor) bikes?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

98fxstc

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 05, 2022, 03:36:08 PMI think it's basic principle is the same with this one.  My rep has tried to get me one of these for testing.  No luck.   But in theory, I should be able to add on top of a tune and see improvement.  Seems like a better strategy for ignition over fuel. 

https://tier1tuners.com/

Had a look at the video.
I believe the only way to determine the fuel demand is from sensors returning info on unburned oxygen ?
I know the response times of the narrow band sensors are superior to wide band sensors but are they capable of allowing this system to correct fuel demand every second crankshaft rotation at high rpms ?