April 23, 2024, 12:18:33 AM

News:

Ingition switch intermitant short

Started by 1340evo, July 03, 2022, 01:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

So my switch has been playing up. Took me ages to find the problem as it only does it when it wants. Take it off the bike to test out and its fine, put it back on and it plays up?

So the question is, are there any better quality ones out there?

Its constructed with a PCB bottom where the contact are. A plastic shaft jointed to the top comes through this, and the whole lot is held together by a star washer that is forced onto the plastic shaft thing.
Okay until it starts pushing back and then it allows the inside bits to move sideways and short out.
I've threaded the plastic bit now and put washers and a nut on there and its probably fixed it for life, but I just don't trust it now as its always trying to push itself open due to the springs inside.

Anyone know of a better switch?

kd

July 03, 2022, 02:14:07 PM #1 Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 05:31:05 AM by kd
Is it "shorting out" and tripping the breaker or is that the term you are using for "cutting out"?  The Evo tank switches did / do have problems with the contacts failing and losing power.  It was fairly common. The fix is best with a new switch.
KD

1340evo

Inside there is a cross beam with two U shapes either end. These are made of copper and sweep over the pins on the PCB base as you turn the switch. When the star washer backs off a bit, these U pieces can turn sideways a bit around the beam resulting in one leg pushing up and hitting the top of the housing.
Took ages to find but I can see a small dot where it's gone to ground and taken the fuse out.
The U bits are being pushed onto the base and kind of want to push the start washer off and open itself up so maybe not the best design.
On my old Shovel I'm sure it was more like a roller that clicked over the contacts but was always in compression holding the thing together.
Not sure which lasts longer, all I can say is this one has lasted short of 5000 miles :)

xlfan

What is that?
You cannot see attachments on this board.

1340evo

glue... I have a rubber edging around the dash top to stop rubbing, it's been stuck to it. For sure the problems inside the switch as I can see the arc point.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: 1340evo on July 03, 2022, 01:56:01 PMAnyone know of a better switch?

Maybe if you tell us the model and year...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

1340evo

Its a 89 FXR but very modified.. Its the 6 pole switch I have in a ctr dash.. just wondering what types the best.
Looks like you can get internal terminals like mine, or some have exposed terminals where a brass bar clicks over them.
I'm thinking the latter may be the best?

motorhogman

I did a lot of modifications to my 73 FX Super Glide. Including Fat bob tanks and center ignition switch, electric start, and on and on..  This was years ago. One thing I found out for sure is the cheap knock off switches didn't last long. Maybe a year or two.  I was being cheap at the time and didn't want to pay $50.00 or so for an OEM switch. Finally broke down and spent the $$. It was well worth it. I'm not sure if HD still supplies those switches or not, if they do that's what I'd be installing.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Dan89flstc

July 07, 2022, 06:27:09 AM #8 Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 06:39:52 AM by Dan89flstc
71501-73A, still available from dealer.

And you might try using the right size screwdriver on those screws...

Item 17
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

JSD

Quote from: Dan89flstc on July 07, 2022, 06:27:09 AM71501-73A, still available from dealer.

Item 17
:agree:

1340evo

Quote from: JSD on July 07, 2022, 11:17:26 PM
Quote from: Dan89flstc on July 07, 2022, 06:27:09 AM71501-73A, still available from dealer.

Item 17

Before my time with it... made of cheese anyway...

Dan89flstc

Quote from: 1340evo on July 10, 2022, 11:25:50 PM
Quote from: JSD on July 07, 2022, 11:17:26 PM

Item 17

Before my time with it... made of cheese anyway...

If it was before your time with it, I guess it is ok to leave it.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic