March 28, 2024, 07:06:21 PM

News:

M8 Lifter change

Started by oldskool, July 04, 2022, 04:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

A Friend has a 18 M8 and has lifter noise. Anyone happen to know what the dealerships book hrs to swap them out ?

rigidthumper

17 flat rate manual says 3.5 hours for 1 cylinder, 5.9 for both.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Oclaf

Quote from: oldskool on July 04, 2022, 04:44:19 AMA Friend has a 18 M8 and has lifter noise. Anyone happen to know what the dealerships book hrs to swap them out ?
Not hard to do, fun project to learn and understand...as well as save cash.

A side question, when dealership does it, i have not idea, do they pull the top off and reuse or use new pushrods or do they put in 'adjustable' ones like many home grease monkeys do?

HogMike

Quote from: oldskool on July 04, 2022, 04:44:19 AMA Friend has a 18 M8 and has lifter noise. Anyone happen to know what the dealerships book hrs to swap them out ?

A couple of questions:
What model?
Bone Stock bike? Or cam change, etc?
Oil cooled or water cooled?
Lifter noise on startup, then goes away? Or, constant?

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

The dealer removes the tank and top rocker boxes, re-use the stock pushrods.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

les

Quote from: Oclaf on July 04, 2022, 07:29:29 AM

A side question, when dealership does it, i have not idea, do they pull the top off and reuse or use new pushrods or do they put in 'adjustable' ones like many home grease monkeys do?

Actually, it can be a terrible mess if the lifter cuff bolts are broken while removing the cuffs.  If you're going to do it yourself, better read up on this forum for removing M8 lifter cuff bolts.

Thermodyne

Quote from: Oclaf on July 04, 2022, 07:29:29 AM

A lot of them charge full labor for pulling the rockers.  Then also sell you a set of adjustable rods.  They claim that adjustable rods don't save any time.  That might be true on a Twin Cam, but not on an M8.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: les on July 04, 2022, 10:51:33 AMActually, it can be a terrible mess if the lifter cuff bolts are broken while removing the cuffs.  If you're going to do it yourself, better read up on this forum for removing M8 lifter cuff bolts.

Just leave the lifter cuffs alone...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

03rg

Quote from: Dan89flstc on July 05, 2022, 08:23:05 AM
Quote from: les on July 04, 2022, 10:51:33 AMActually, it can be a terrible mess if the lifter cuff bolts are broken while removing the cuffs.  If you're going to do it yourself, better read up on this forum for removing M8 lifter cuff bolts.

Wouldn't you have pull the cam then?
I would agree with the "read up" suggestion. My first M8 cam change, snapped the bolt, four hours of terror getting the remnant out. After reading up here and other places second one went fine with plenty of heat and patience.

les

Quote from: Dan89flstc on July 05, 2022, 08:23:05 AM

Ok, I'm game.  What do you recommend for getting the old lifters out?

moose

I would use the adjustable push rods and replace the cuffs with the S&S lifter cuffs. or leave the cuffs alone and just do the lifters an hour or hour and a half job if you know how to adjust the adjustable push rods.
Moose aka Glenn-

les

Quote from: moose on July 06, 2022, 04:00:27 AMI would use the adjustable push rods and replace the cuffs with the S&S lifter cuffs. or leave the cuffs alone and just do the lifters an hour or hour and a half job if you know how to adjust the adjustable push rods.

So, are you saying that you can leave the cuffs on and still change the lifters?

03rg

If you don't remove the cuffs you have to take them out the bottom. Which means removing the cam plate and cams.
As I'm thinking about it.. with the issues around the overly locktighted cuff bolts the safest way to remove those bolts also requires removal of the camplate, cams and oil pump in order to apply heat to underside of the cuff bolts.

So either way the camplate, cams etc need to come out.

Dan89flstc

If you are going into the cam compartment (on a 2018) you might as well replace the oil pump with the latest design pump.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

The old "as long as you're in there" job creep.
A cam and a tune would wake that motor right up......
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

les

IMO, if the plan is to only replace the lifters, removing the cuff bolts with the proper application of a heat gun is a straight forward job.  But I do recommend reading past posts to get some advice on how to use the heat gun effectively.  Also, I recommend replacing the stock cuffs with the S&S cuffs.