March 29, 2024, 07:36:44 AM

News:

A new take on lifter design

Started by 03rg, July 04, 2022, 05:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

03rg

Not sure how unique or new it is but it's an interesting hydraulic lifter design change
COMP Cams Develops A Next-Gen Hydraulic Roller Lifter

motorhogman

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Deye76

"build a nice cabin, with a warm fire, and I'll be along directly"
In other words, after Gatermans, let me know how they work out.  :wink:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Oclaf

Cool, sometimes its the little things..

Oclaf

tolobill

Change probably why Chevrolet has so many lifter issues in their truck line.

wfolarry

It's basically a lifter within a lifter. It's not going to turn the lifter world upside down.
Usually when there's a change it addresses a specific problem. If you're not having that problem the changes will have no effect on you.
The best thing you can do is buy a quality lifter. Preferably one Made in the USA.
That's you're best bet.  :up: 

03rg

I just thought it was an interesting twist on piece of technology that's been around for ages.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: wfolarry on July 05, 2022, 12:45:15 PMIt's basically a lifter within a lifter. It's not going to turn the lifter world upside down.
Usually when there's a change it addresses a specific problem. If you're not having that problem the changes will have no effect on you.
The best thing you can do is buy a quality lifter. Preferably one Made in the USA.
That's you're best bet.  :up: 

I do think that some of the features are nice. Don't know how much of an advantage.. 

If you can run lower leakdown lifter without the plunger getting hung up, it would be an advantage..  I really don't know if it's that much of an issue but I could see where there might be an advantage.  Remember the old pans and shovels had lifters that fit into the tappet housing.  They leaked very little. I remember missing a shift on my pan and have the motor cut on 1 or 2 cylinders for a few seconds while the lifters bled down.

Another thing to note is that oil does compress. Not much, but enough to collapse the lifter a few thou.  That combined with leakage can drop the valve harder on the seat which is a major contributor to valve noise.  I suspect that one of the reasons why setting the pushrod so that plunger is deeper in the lifter body, helps with the noise. Less oil to compress.