March 28, 2024, 10:20:33 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Points Plate Slots Don't Seem Correct

Started by SanB2013, July 08, 2022, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SanB2013

July 08, 2022, 06:00:42 PM Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 08:01:08 PM by FSG
I was checking the timing and points on the 1976 FXE the other day and noticed the points cam had a little nick on the small lobe so I ordered a new points cam and installed it. While setting the timing at the advanced mark on the flywheel and the points cam rotated to full advance I had to rotate/retard the plate almost to the end of the slots to achieve the correct spot when the points just opened. I searched the internet and noticed others have experienced this but none seemed to have an answer to what the problem is.  Some suggested filing the slots longer but that seems like a bandied and doesn't explain the reason why this is happening. Also  the notch for the points adjustment doesn't seem to be correct either. 
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this before and what if anything did you do to correct the issue?
I've attached a couple of pictures for reference.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
1976 FXE

Ohio HD

When I've seen this in the past, I attributed it to a poorly made reproduction of the cam. I don't know that there's any better parts out there for the old bikes.

bump

I had that problem on my shovelhead. I filed out the slots and put in a set of bluestreak points.

SanB2013

Quote from: Ohio HD on July 08, 2022, 09:51:31 PMWhen I've seen this in the past, I attributed it to a poorly made reproduction of the cam. I don't know that there's any better parts out there for the old bikes.
Ohio, Thanks for the reply.
I was thinking the same thing. I have another an old one in my stash I'm going to try and check the results against the new one I just installed.
Steve
1976 FXE

JW113

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

SanB2013

Quote from: JW113 on July 10, 2022, 08:51:25 AMWhere did you get the cam?

-JW
JW, I bought the cam and new advance springs from Mid-Usa. I would guess they are VTwin stuff. The bag it came in say's "made in Taiwan". Go figure.
Steve
1976 FXE

JW113

Well, we're not supposed to badmouth suppliers on this forum, so I won't. But I think you have your answer.
 :SM:

Just my opinion based on personal experience, the Rivera timing advance unit is very nice and of high quality. As far as the points plate goes, what is to wear out? Stock one should outlast the bike itself.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

colin

I had the same trouble with my 1979 80" fatbob. the cam gear had been pressed on 1 tooth out. 

xlfan

Knowing the cam specs and degreeing the cam, is the only accurate solution. Cam gear inaccurately pressed on is more common that you would expect. 

Lowrider!

I found when I went from the stock Harley points to the 6 cylinder Chevy Blue Streak points that because of their slightly bigger size it move you to almost the end of the slots, as others mentioned there may be other factors that could cause this.

SP33DY

Quote from: Lowrider! on August 18, 2023, 01:51:22 PMI found when I went from the stock Harley points to the 6 cylinder Chevy Blue Streak points that because of their slightly bigger size it move you to almost the end of the slots, as others mentioned there may be other factors that could cause this.

:agree:

dusty1

Cheap Taiwan parts. I've had this problem on several new points plates. Elongate the slots with die grinder or rat tail file.