April 19, 2024, 10:01:51 PM

News:

Won’t start

Started by 97dyna, July 10, 2022, 08:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97dyna

97 FXDL - while riding it would cut off like it was running out of gas. Let it sit for a few minutes, it would start and run for a 1/2 mile. Got it home. Now get a click but no start. Charged the battery and the same. Direct wire from the battery to the solenoid will turn over but won't fire.
Charged the battery (volts good) and let it sit. I day later after charging (and no attempts to start) and the battery is drained) and faint click on start. Battery is one year old.

kd

Quote from: 97dyna on July 10, 2022, 08:56:48 AM97 FXDL - while riding it would cut off like it was running out of gas. Let it sit for a few minutes, it would start and run for a 1/2 mile. Got it home. Now get a click but no start. Charged the battery and the same. Direct wire from the battery to the solenoid will turn over but won't fire.
Charged the battery (volts good) and let it sit. I day later after charging (and no attempts to start) and the battery is drained) and faint click on start. Battery is one year old.

The main breaker was a problem and possibly a recall on that model.  Recharge the battery and check the breaker for continuity when it wont start.  You may hear or feel it click when it cuts out.
KD

Dan89flstc

Quote from: kd on July 10, 2022, 11:09:08 AMcheck the breaker for continuity when it wont start.

If the breaker is tripped you don`t need to fuss with an ohmeter, just check the electricals on the bike to see if any of them work...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

jsachs1

Stock bank angle sensors (In the nose cone) play a game similar to that. :dgust: 
John

Hossamania

Disconnect the battery and charge it, check voltage one day later to confirm the battery is holding a charge. Reconnect it and monitor voltage for a day to check for a parasitic drain. If still charged,  try starting while checking for voltage drop.
Hopefully this eliminates the battery as a problem.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ironheadmike

Angle sensor? The only thing in my nose cone is the ignition pickup . All four of my evos .

rigidthumper

They built the angle sensor into the pickup, starting in 1995- if you have the narrow short sensor, it's early (32400-80B). If you have the long sensor, it's late (32448-95B).
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Timetrader

Fwiw,i had the common goo leaking/drip in the ignition timing plate in a 1996 model year fl,when i looked up the part i saw the new oem number and got sticker shock with the price it was like $175.00 or so a few years back,i decided to install a new older style plate which only cost around $30.00 or so then,it works as it should no problems ive encountered,it just dosent have the bank angle sensor