April 23, 2024, 11:54:48 PM

News:

cold blooded sporty

Started by Herb, July 11, 2022, 10:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herb

Have owned several Harley's over the years and currently ride a 2005 SuperGlide. I just bought a "garage find" 2003 1200 Sportster that has not been used in several yrs. It only has 2500 miles showing on the clock. Ive just finished repainting it and doing all of the maintenance stuff that needed to be done. Being new to Sporty's my question/issue is that it is very cold blooded. It has to warm up alot before it is rideable. If the enricher is pulled it will not start at all like it is running to rich. Once it warms up it seems to run pretty good. I changed the main jet to a 180 and it improved the the performance alot. The low jet is a 42 and I have screwed out the needle about 2 1/2 turns. I have never had problems with my other bikes jetting and tuning. Im wondering if the Sporty is just cold natured. TIA.

jsachs1

I'd use a 45 slow jet. That may solve the problem.
John

Herb

Quote from: jsachs1 on July 11, 2022, 01:53:05 PMI'd use a 45 slow jet. That may solve the problem.
John
I have a 45 and 47 ordered. I was thinking the same thing concerning the cold blooded part, but I cant figure out the enricher acting the way it does. If the engine is running lean than pulling it out a little should help but it makes it worse.

Hossamania

Remove the enrichener and clean the passages and plunger. When you install the new pilot jet, clean that passage, remove the emulsifier tube holding the main jet and clean that, I would also remove and clean the passage for the accelerator pump, I would probably just replace that accelerator diaphragm and spring as well, just because I'm there and they are not that expensive.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Herb

Quote from: Hossamania on July 11, 2022, 03:07:20 PMRemove the enrichener and clean the passages and plunger. When you install the new pilot jet, clean that passage, remove the emulsifier tube holding the main jet and clean that, I would also remove and clean the passage for the accelerator pump, I would probably just replace that accelerator diaphragm and spring as well, just because I'm there and they are not that expensive.
:up:  :up:

Herb

Okay changed the idle jet to a #48 and the main to #85. Adjusted the mixture screw to 2 turns out. She starts great (inrichener not pulled) idles great and runs like a bat out of hell.  :chop:

hogpipes1

seems a bit now on the rich side of life. Having a  2000 xl  with a slow  #45 , along with the 88 yr xl jet needle.A little cold  in am and still need the choke, I'd be checking the the plugs for color on yours.

Herb

So far it seems to be running pretty good. Have not pulled the plugs to check color yet. Starts great without choke, but will cough a little if I crack the throttle quick. With a little choke that goes away, and as soon as fully warmed runs great.   :scoot: