April 19, 2024, 06:06:15 PM

News:

Missing primary belt idler/adjuster

Started by Molly, July 13, 2022, 02:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Bought a 78 Shovel. Noticed it's a bit snatchy when cruising but ok under load. Figured I'd tighten the primary belt but discovered the idler is missing.

Any legitimate reason for this? Would guys deliberately run the primary belt a bit loose?

Noticed BDL sell an idler so should be easy to source.

xlfan

Most belt drives do not use an idler. IIRC Karata 13.8 mm used an idler.

Breeze

The "snatchiness" cruising is a lack of a compensator. You're feeling the power pulses of the engine.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Molly

Thanks guys. I confess I've limited Shovel experience but 20 years on Evo-up. The 'snatchiness'is pretty intrusive. Hard to imagine it just a characteristic. I'll recheck the final drive chain and see if I can dial-out some there.

Appreciate your input guys. Always more to learn. Thanks.

david lee

i run the inch-half primo belt it came with the roller adjuster. without it the belt would be too loose

JW113

What belt drive is this? Many/most, including the one I had in my '77, uses no idler. Neither did the stock Harley FXB.

How loose is the belt currently?

And what does "snatchy" mean? Never heard that before.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Molly

Quote from: JW113 on July 13, 2022, 02:08:21 PMWhat belt drive is this? Many/most, including the one I had in my '77, uses no idler. Neither did the stock Harley FXB.

How loose is the belt currently?

And what does "snatchy" mean? Never heard that before.

-JW

I'd say there's over an inch of play. I guess by snatchy I mean not smooth to the extent that it's intrusive / concerning. The motor itself runs beautifully.

Thanks again for the replies. Appreciated.

motorplex88

The 1.5in x 11mm belt will use an idler.You cannot see attachments on this board.

david lee

Quote from: motorplex88 on July 13, 2022, 11:11:08 PMThe 1.5in x 11mm belt will use an idler.You cannot see attachments on this board.
yes thats what ive got

JW113

Here's what used to be in mine:

You cannot see attachments on this board.

It used a Gates 1-1/2" x 132 x 8mm belt. It has some vertical play, but was not flopping around in there. This was a BDL setup.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Molly

Made a short video. Wait to the end to see how the belt has worn a groove in the inner primary.

https://youtube.com/shorts/mrdilxLaZkg?feature=share

Molly

Attempted to source a BDL idler from hogparts.co.uk. Even though the part is on their website they abruptly replied to say there's no such thing... I'm not sure what you do with that level of stupid (besides making a point to never use or recommend them again).

motorplex88

(BDL) Belt Drives Ltd IBK-1 Primary belt idler kit. California Phil or other vendors on here can help you. Google is your friend.

MikeL

I'd say the old belt wore the groove in the primary. The belt looks new/ newer. I don't think you could get an adjuster to work.

Molly

Quote from: MikeL on July 15, 2022, 09:44:21 AMI'd say the old belt wore the groove in the primary. The belt looks new/ newer. I don't think you could get an adjuster to work.

It is new. Well spotted. Maybe 500 miles on it.

Once again, thank you guys for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge.

brent

ive had a primo 11mm and 14 mm both had idlers

david lee

Quote from: brent on July 17, 2022, 07:05:48 AMive had a primo 11mm and 14 mm both had idlers
had my primo belt for 35 odd yrs with idler and the belt still looks new