April 30, 2024, 08:13:39 AM

News:

2012 CVO Head Rattle

Started by gaucho, October 20, 2022, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaucho

This may have been discussed earlier, sorry to repeat. Bought my first CVO a couple of years ago - 2012 Ultra Classic SE7. Had real low miles - 3600! and not an obscene paint scheme. It's been the noisiest bike I've ever owned! My '65 Pan was quieter. From about 2600 to 3000 rpm it sounded like it was about to explode. Decent tech in the area and all the reading claimed it was just 'normal' 'all the stock 110's are noisy'. That's flat out BS! After two seasons of looking for a solution and countless oil combinations, I came across Rockout Rocker Products. Their rocker shaft inserts are simply a thin wall bushing that stop the rocker assembly bolt from clattering. It made a huge difference in my CVO. Installed them on the weekend (about 4 hours at a very relaxed pace) and went for a ride. It's the quietest it's been since I bought it! Best $15 bucks I ever spent on a Harley!! Highly recommend this if you've got noisy heads.
gaucho

Ohio HD

Yes they do what they advertise. Most all Twin Cam motors have the rocker shaft tapping against the rocker base bolts. Some are just worse than others.

JSD

The 110 have heavy valve springs from memory causing louder tap at rocker shaft to bolt

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: gaucho on October 20, 2022, 01:30:13 PMThis may have been discussed earlier, sorry to repeat. Bought my first CVO a couple of years ago - 2012 Ultra Classic SE7. Had real low miles - 3600! and not an obscene paint scheme. It's been the noisiest bike I've ever owned! My '65 Pan was quieter. From about 2600 to 3000 rpm it sounded like it was about to explode. Decent tech in the area and all the reading claimed it was just 'normal' 'all the stock 110's are noisy'. That's flat out BS! After two seasons of looking for a solution and countless oil combinations, I came across Rockout Rocker Products. Their rocker shaft inserts are simply a thin wall bushing that stop the rocker assembly bolt from clattering. It made a huge difference in my CVO. Installed them on the weekend (about 4 hours at a very relaxed pace) and went for a ride. It's the quietest it's been since I bought it! Best $15 bucks I ever spent on a Harley!! Highly recommend this if you've got noisy heads.

Thanks man, stories like yours make my whole quest very rewarding.

=PATENTED= Rockouts  :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Bagger

Rockout, does the fitment differ from stock, SE, Vulcan or other rocker arm support plates?

JSD

Vulcan supports use a set screw to lock shafts

Ohio HD

Quote from: JSD on October 21, 2022, 04:24:22 PMVulcan supports use a set screw to lock shafts

Not all of the Vulcan supports have set screws. You have to order the complete kit with shafts and hardware. Just buying the supports they aren't setup for set screws.

I have custom made Rockouts in my 124" I built a few years ago using Vulcan supports.

Custom Made Rockout Inserts

Plain Vulcan Supports

Vulcan Complete Support Set

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Bagger on October 21, 2022, 02:52:48 PMRockout, does the fitment differ from stock, SE, Vulcan or other rocker arm support plates?

Ohio covered the Vulcan supports.

TC inserts are all the same unless you are using the forged supports, they take larger inserts. PM me if you need them & I'll make sure you get the right kit.  :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Ohio HD

October 22, 2022, 07:51:32 PM #8 Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 08:29:29 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Ohio HD on October 21, 2022, 04:43:20 PM
Quote from: JSD on October 21, 2022, 04:24:22 PMVulcan supports use a set screw to lock shafts

Not all of the Vulcan supports have set screws. You have to order the complete kit with shafts and hardware. Just buying the supports they aren't setup for set screws.

I have custom made Rockouts in my 124" I built a few years ago using Vulcan supports.

Custom Made Rockout Inserts

Plain Vulcan Supports

Vulcan Complete Support Set

FYI: These are the dimensions that I gave for the custom Rockouts for the Vulcan rocker arm supports. What I got back fit like a glove.

Length: 1.083
Major OD: 0.368
Minor OD: 0.347

You cannot see attachments on this board.

You cannot see attachments on this board.