April 30, 2024, 08:18:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

EVO BOTTOM END/SHOVEL TOP END??

Started by 1995 BadBoy, November 13, 2008, 12:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995 BadBoy

What would it take to build a motor with an EVO bottom end for the reliability and a SHOVEL top end for the coolness and sound?  Is it a no brainer/ or are there machining issues involved.  Anyone ever do this?

Lew

WHAT?!  Shovel bottom ends are unreliable?!  That's news to me.  :wink:  The main idea behind the EVO is the redesigned top end to better handle the crap fuel we have to use.  Anything is possible with the right amount of
$$$$$$$$Lew 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

1995 BadBoy

I sure like working on the top end of my shovel better than my evo...  Just trying to combine what I like best about the 2 motors!  :idea:

fulldress79

Are there major differences in the two? What got changed?

randallwhitman

The major change to the bottom end is the cases......the shovels have short studs that the jugs bolt up to, and then the heads bolt to the cylinders.  The Evos have long studs that go from the cases, through the jugs, and through the heads, where they bolt together sandwich style.    :wink:   Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

fulldress79

So theres no clear advantage to an evo lower end?

pan64

"So theres no clear advantage to an evo lower end?"
yes there is, theres just no advantage to a shovel top end!!
And I hate everything EVO or later!

fulldress79

???

Lew

Evo's are great motors because there aren't too many major differences....
Improved head design, getting oil through/to the top and increased cooling efficiency with the use of aluminum jugs being the major differences.  The other major differences are design changes made to cut costs and make for easier/quicker manufacturing.  OK...they have minor improvements in oil containment also.   :wink:
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

gryphon

Bottom ends between the two are virtually identical. I installed an EVO crank assembly in my Shovel and the only difference was that the evo wristpins are .001 different  than the Shovel so I had to use different bushings in the rods. The intake manifold is improved on the EVO and not as prone to air leaks which, on some shovels, is a constant fight. Overhead oiling is also improved. I'm in love with the exhaust manifolds which use a much nicer methood of attaching the pipes. To put it in perspective i would say the improvements I notice in my EVO over my Shovel are about on a par with the improvements I found in my first Shovel when compared to my Pan. Nothing earth shattering but there are some things that are improved.

lasmittys1

There are a number of changes between the EVO and Shovel bottom ends. (1) The early shovels (I think it was up to 72) had a one revolution, one squirt, pinion shaft. the oil came in on the side of the pinion shaft. To run a Evo crank, you need to change the pinion bushing to a later shovel and up to 92 Evo bushing, (oil came in from the end of the pinion shaft). (2) All Evo's front connecting rods are heavier with more stock at the big end, they only will fit in the rear rod one way. Because of that weight, you need to get aftermarket pistons and make them weigh that of a Evo piston, (not that
hard to do). The stock shovel pistons had a steel brace in the piston skirt and that makes it hard to reduce weight. (3) The later Evo's cranks are a three piece design,(better,stronger) The pinion shaft and the sprocket shaft are made with the flywheels, Shovel flywheels and early Evo's are five piece designs.(4) Later Evo's pinion shafts (90 and later) use a different pinion gear and oil pump drivegear and nut. (5)The only other change was the pinion bearing, you can use any style bearing as long as you use the correct retaining clip,bearing spacers and bearing cages.

JamLazyAss

"And I hate everything EVO or later!"

AMEN TO THAT

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

v10ole

Try doing a top end rebuild motor in frame on a EVO. Shovel heads are a very good motor just needs a little more attention thats all.

1995 BadBoy

I have done a top end on both my Evo and my Shovel.  The Shovel top end is much easier to do in frame... and looks AND sounds much better!  :wink:

76shuvlinoff

After this many years we might as well welcome the EVO to the family guys, they're obsolete and lacking support too now!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

randallwhitman

Mark's right.......before you know it, the Twinkie will be obsolete, and all the newbies will be clamoring for the newest and latest, which just might be a water buffalo of some sort.  Then we'll enjoy the status that the Pan owners now have.   :teeth:
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Purplepandan

Quote from: randallwhitman on November 17, 2008, 05:04:56 PM
  Then we'll enjoy the status that the Pan owners now have. 
Don't hold your breath!!

bob_e95482

Anything's possible, if you want it bad enough-

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

fulldress79

Wow!!! How about a shot of the other side of that!

fulldress79

Duh... I realize theres an attachment.... :embarrassed:

bob_e95482

November 17, 2008, 05:44:48 PM #20 Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:47:12 PM by bob_e95482
Here you go.

shovelkid73

I believe the EVO crank is about 8#s lighter the shovel crank. was thinking about swaping them when I rebuild my '73
and the motor above looks like a screamer ducati is fast and closest to sounding like a harley

Em Kizzle

Buy a 1983 motor.  It was the first year of the 5 spd EVO bottom but they still used the Shovel heads

stroker800

EM,,,whats makes you think you 83 has an evo bottom end????  Looks like any other cone shovel..Did it come with the lighter evo wheels????  It still has shovel barrels,,,still a crank breather,,still has short cylinder studs,,,Guess what,,,,you got a plain ol 83 shovelhead..
Dave

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HotRodShovel

There was a guy running around here in my neck of the City, Shovelbill might know who I'm talking about, who had a very nice hybrid Shovel top end on an Evo bottom.  A very cool machine, nicely built. 
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

stroker800

Petty much the only difference is the studs and location...Had an engine from friend,,evo heads &cyls,,,pan genny right side,,,shovel case output side with full stator system...Oil filter hooked to genny mounts,,,single fire timer..Motor was great runner bout 20 yrs before it needed work...
Dave

hbkeith

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on November 15, 2008, 11:39:44 AM

After this many years we might as well welcome the EVO to the family guys, they're obsolete and lacking support too now!
:hyst:

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

I remember when you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting an EVO.  The MoCo flooded the market in the 90's with them.  I remember pulling into an Orange Cty dealership for a bike wash etc....with my Shovel, maybe 98. I was the only Shovel in a sea of EVO's.  One guy asked me if it was a Knucklehead Sportster.  I kid you not.
I think the EVO has become the new Shovel and we are slipping into the Pan slot.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

easyricer

"I think the EVO has become the new Shovel and we are slipping into the Pan slot."
and the Knuckles and Flats have all but faded into hidden away private collections and museums. I like all three of mine, the Pan/Shovel, Shovel and the Evo bagger. That's spaceship enough for me.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

76shuvlinoff

QuoteThat's spaceship enough for me.

What? No Wing?  :wink:
 - Ernest Hemingway

easyricer

I'm still too young and stupid for a wing....
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: easyricer on October 30, 2013, 01:36:25 PM
I'm still too young and stupid for a wing....
EASY

I gotta have 10 years on ya and feel the same way.   :bike:
 - Ernest Hemingway