March 29, 2024, 12:43:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Combustion Chamber Shape

Started by dporto, July 25, 2022, 04:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dporto

The attached pictures are of heads from a 95 evo with larger valves and a W shape to accomidate the vales. The bike has severe detonation issue's and I am wondering if the combustion chamber shape could be the cause. The motor is bored +10 with dome pistons that have been reduced .030 on the dome, heads decked .030 and a ev23 cam static compression is 160 front and 150 rear.You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.

turboprop

Curious what bore and stroke combination is used to make a 95" evo?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

wfolarry

They look like they were done by a car guy that modeled them after the heads on his car.
I'd get a different set if it was me.

aswracing

You definitely lost a large percentage of the squish area. Less squish area means less chamber turbulence and that aggravates detonation.

Hossamania

Quote from: turboprop on July 25, 2022, 04:45:14 AMCurious what bore and stroke combination is used to make a 95" evo?

I'm guessing 1995 Evo?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

dporto

July 25, 2022, 10:41:50 AM #5 Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:00:52 AM by dporto
Yes 1995 evo motor would machining them so they are hemi- spherical help or hurt ? Or cut out the center point and create a straight edge ?
looking for suggestions to solve the problem, new heads not in the owners budget.

turboprop

Give those heads to someone that you don't really like.

Thermodyne

Someone set those heads up for a race bike.  WFO and good fuel, not pump gas and normal driving.  They actually look like they would make good power WFO on alky.

Not really worth the effort of fixing them, but should be easy enough to trade for a set of unmolested heads.

To fix them would require a lot of TIG time or cutting that partition out and running a shovel type piston.  The low budget repair path would be to cc them, then cut the piston dome to get them down in the 8-8.5:1 compression range.  But it won't be a head turner set up like that. 

dporto

Thank you Thermodyne you are correct on all points the bike is a road king and needs to run on street and pump fuel.

xlfan

Quote from: turboprop on July 25, 2022, 04:45:14 AMCurious what bore and stroke combination is used to make a 95" evo?

IIRC Axtell had 3 13/16" Iron cylinders for stock stroke EVO's to make 95"

turboprop

Quote from: xlfan on July 25, 2022, 05:36:20 PM

IIRC Axtell had 3 13/16" Iron cylinders for stock stroke EVO's to make 95"

Nope.

3-13/16" x 4-¼" = 97"
3-⅝" x 4-⅝" = 96"

I know of no, common, off-the-shelf bore/stroke combination that equals 95".

JW113

For the street, hard to beat flat top pistons and the double D S&S heads...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber