March 29, 2024, 01:59:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Why is it called a trap door?

Started by les, August 04, 2022, 06:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

Where did the name "trap door" come from for the transmission bearing housing?

xlfan

Maybe it originates from the fact that it actually trap the 2 shafts perpendicular to each other prior to installing them in case?  :scratch: 

Deye76

Or because it allows access to the inside of the trans with relative ease.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JW113

Exactly! That, and the HD crowd has always liked cute pet names for mechanical parts. Like oil bag, cow bells, mouse trap, etc. And especially the name of the engines themselves! Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, Ironhead, none of those were in any HD literature at the time. And even the term "hog" is from the public, not HD.

Can't believe they eliminated the trap door on Sportsters. Split the cases to get to the trans guts.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on August 04, 2022, 08:57:10 AMExactly! That, and the HD crowd has always liked cute pet names for mechanical parts. Like oil bag, cow bells, mouse trap, etc. And especially the name of the engines themselves! Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, Ironhead, none of those were in any HD literature at the time. And even the term "hog" is from the public, not HD.

Can't believe they eliminated the trap door on Sportsters. Split the cases to get to the trans guts.

-JW
im amazed harley didnt call evos evohead

JW113

No, they were trying to nickname it "Blockhead" in the early marketing propaganda. Fail! HD did name it Evolution engine, and the public nicknamed it Evo. Or, at the time (lots of shovelhead riders around then) "Evil".
 :hyst:

-JW

Hossamania

Hear no Evo, see no Evo, ride no Evo.
T-shirts worn by friends that rode Shovels when the Evo came out.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

nibroc

:scoot:

did ya forget "CHOP" and "SCOOT"

:chop:

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

JW113

les

Don't get me wrong, I like the names trap door and derby cover.  In fact, no one I know calls these parts by their real names.

BTW, I still call the cruise drive mainshaft seal the "fifth gear seal".  Probably most everyone else does too.  So funny because we call these parts by their wrong names, but there is not one person out there that does not perfectly understand this invented language.

kd

Quote from: IronButt70 on August 05, 2022, 03:47:09 PMDerby cover comes to mind.

:up:   A hold-over from tin outer primary covers. About 50 years ago was the last tin and first aluminum outer so it has really stuck.
KD

JW113

Yeah, that is an interesting one. "Derby" cover? I know what it is, but damn. What derby? Kentucky Derby?
 :SM:

Harley-Davidson... Hate the company, love the product... and the culture!

:baby:

-JW

Ohio HD

wfolarry

'Trap door' didn't come from HD. It's a term used in many industries to describe the access point.

les

Quote from: wfolarry on August 06, 2022, 05:51:54 AM'Trap door' didn't come from HD. It's a term used in many industries to describe the access point.

Ok, cool.  Thanks!

Dan89flstc

Quote from: JW113 on August 04, 2022, 02:43:38 PMNo, they were trying to nickname it "Blockhead" in the early marketing propaganda.

-JW

It wasn`t the moco that tried to give the evo the stupid blockhead name, it was a motorcycle magazine writer.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Ohio HD

Quote from: Dan89flstc on August 08, 2022, 12:04:55 PMIt wasn`t the moco that tried to give the evo the stupid blockhead name, it was a motorcycle magazine writer.

No, it was Harley. Here's a 1984 HD T-shirt from Eastgate HD. HD named the bike Blockhead.

Blockhead

Hossamania

I agree, I thought it was the Moco that was trying to push the Blockhead moniker. It never caught on with the riding crowd

98fxstc

The name was already used to describe an annoying mate. No wonder it didn't catch on.

Hossamania

Quote from: 98fxstc on August 08, 2022, 03:17:14 PMThe name was already used to describe an annoying mate. No wonder it didn't catch on.

Now that's funny!

Breeze

I remember some magazines attempting to give names to more recent HD engines, Fathead was one attempt with the Twin Cam, Showerhead for the water cooled. Thank goodness neither stuck.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

cheech

I vehemently can't stand when people call the Twincam's  Twinkie:sick:
Seems to be on a lot of other forums.

Do real men really want to ride around on motorcycles with Twinkie engines?

david lee

WhipLash96

Quote from: Breeze on August 09, 2022, 03:38:33 AMI remember some magazines attempting to give names to more recent HD engines, Fathead was one attempt with the Twin Cam, Showerhead for the water cooled. Thank goodness neither stuck.
Showerhead? :emoGroan:  :hyst:  :hyst:  :hyst:
Thanks,
Whip

JW113

Quote from: cheech on August 09, 2022, 06:37:14 AMDo real men really want to ride around on motorcycles with Twinkie engines?

I think you answered your own question.

-JW