April 23, 2024, 04:50:33 AM

News:

S&S cam chain tensioner life?

Started by pauly, August 04, 2022, 02:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauly

Hi all,

If the price is right, it Looks like I might be adding an s&s cam plate and oil pump to my 07 Softail.
I was wondering if any of you have experience or opinions on whether I should also get the s&s cam chain tensioner, or stick with the stock ones?
Also, What sort of mileage could I expect from the s&s units over stock?

Thanks
Pauly

billbuilds

I can't say how much longer the S&S pads will last over the stock ones but I do  know that they are:
      1. Thicker than stock
      2. The hydraulic pistons are larger than stock   
      3. The units have tighter tolerances than stock

If you're going to upgrade the pump and plate why not upgrade the hydraulic tensioners as well?   Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

pauly

Thanks Bill,
I'm sort of agreeing with you, however was hoping that someone who installed them a few years ago would let me know how they look. I also like the fact they spray oil on the chain just before it hits the pad.  Sort of maxing out the maintenance budget so wanting some encouragement to get me over the line ;-)
Thanks
Pauly

Robb1178

if your gonna have it apart then its best to replace it all. When I upgraded mine I did everything.
03 Heritage Softail 95" Zippers Muscle, Tmax, 51mm HPI T/B , D&D Fatcat 2/1

pauly

Hi Robb,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I agree - I'm still wondering however if anyone has installed the S&S tensioners, done a few miles, then checked them out. I'd love to hear a long term review of them.

Thanks
Pauly

smoserx1

I'm not really answering your question but these are stock shoes that came out of my bike with 70000 miles on them.  They probably could have gone twice the mileage.  My bike is a 99 with conversion cams so these are the same shoes you have (along with the stock 97 cam plate & oil pump).  So my question is if the stock setup works this well, why upgrade the plate & oil pump at all?

pauly

Hi  smoserx1

Wow - I really don't know how you got such a small amount of wear after 70k miles!
I replaced my should at around 30,000Ks, and they were at least that worn.

In answer to your question, the bike is a 07 Softail, and I want to freshen it so it'll be reliable for the next ten years or so. Happy to replace things that don't quite need it yet, so replacing compensator, stator, regulator, belt & pulleys etc... Then I looked at the other side of the bike and thought to do Cam bearings etc... anyway - It's become a bit of a beast, but I'm looking forward to just riding it with all the new bits installed.

Thanks
Pauly

les

What about the engine balancer chain tensioner shoes?  Somewhere around 80K miles is a potential for those to be worn and consideration for replacement.  Especially, if you're planning on riding that bike for a long time.

pauly

Hi Les,

Thanks for the reply - I'm not going to do them as I'm not splitting the cases. By the time I replaced everything I wanted to if I was (splitting them), I reckon I'd save money by getting a new engine! Even just this belt/compemsator/electrics/Cam plate update is costing more that $5000 just for the bits!

Thanks
Pauly

smoserx1

QuoteWow - I really don't know how you got such a small amount of wear after 70k miles!
I replaced my should at around 30,000Ks, and they were at least that worn.

The one thing I have heard that will make them wear out quick is getting the little piston and spring reversed.  Always take them apart on the bench and make sure it is correct.  The proper order is tensioner housing, piston, spring then shoe.  After you check them put the little "grenade pins" back in until they are in place and the chain is holding it together.

SP33DY

It depends a lot on use and maintenance. I had a 2010 with 50,000 miles come in and it was bad. The pads were worn through to the metal pistons, which wore the chain to the point that it broke, and the chain broke through the cam cover. The oil looked like tar. On the other hand, well maintained bikes have come in with more miles and the tensioners still look good. On a basically stock bike, meaning one with stock or "bolt in" cams, etc, I'll still install new Cyco pads while I'm in there, cheap insurance. If you always ride it like you stole it and never do any maintenance, the pads won't last long.

pauly

Hi sp33dy,
That's good advice for life in general! 😂
This bike is very well maintained.
The whole aim of this project is to get many parts of the bike back to new, so I can get another 15 years out of it without major problems.

Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: SP33DY on August 10, 2022, 09:34:04 AMIt depends a lot on use and maintenance. I had a 2010 with 50,000 miles come in and it was bad. The pads were worn through to the metal pistons, which wore the chain to the point that it broke, and the chain broke through the cam cover. The oil looked like tar. On the other hand, well maintained bikes have come in with more miles and the tensioners still look good. On a basically stock bike, meaning one with stock or "bolt in" cams, etc, I'll still install new Cyco pads while I'm in there, cheap insurance. If you always ride it like you stole it and never do any maintenance, the pads won't last long.