April 18, 2024, 02:25:48 PM

News:

Braided clutch cable vs stock

Started by Jim Bronson, August 07, 2022, 01:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I found a partial bottle of Dri-Slide in the garage, but I don't see a need to lube a new teflon-lined cable. BTW if I wanted a new bottle, I think I'd need to mortgage the house -
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Fugawee

To lube, or not to lube...of course that is Your choice.  It's Your Bike.  I have done My share of replacing Clutch Cables over the years.  I chose to lube a brand-new Cable with no issues.  The last bottle of Dri-Slide that I bought was less than 20 bucks about 1, or 1 1/2 years ago.  Good Luck with it.

Jim Bronson

I'm done with the cable. It is properly adjusted and works fine with a bit less effort. However I noticed that the lever is a little 'notchy'. It binds intermittently when pulled or released. I'm a little concerned that it will engage suddenly instead of gradually. Anyone ever run into this problem? BTW the balls are properly seated, and the inner ramp slides easily. Snap ring is seated properly, etc.

FSG

QuoteAnyone ever run into this problem?

fraying inners feel like that

Teflon Cables aren't meant to bee lubed, as said earlier .....  BUT I did regardless

I used my gravity feed method .....  took the cable out of the perch and front downtube area, layed the cable down on the floor with a baggie over the end to catch the oil (shockproof) drible out and let gravity drain some oil from the trannie to the baggie via the cable overnight

what is the basket like? notches from the plates could transfer some of the feel through to the lever?

Jim Bronson

I'm using BelRay this time, but I don't know what was in it before. The bike has only about 5K on it. I can do what you suggested, but how did you get the oil into the cable without removing the clutch release cover? Just run it for a while and let the slinger do its thing?

I did some research on lubing teflon-lined cables. From what I read, teflon cables don't normally need to be lubed, but lubing won't hurt them due to their high chemical resistance. In some cases the lube may reduce friction.

Ohio HD

August 29, 2022, 06:46:37 PM #30 Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:53:27 PM by Ohio HD
I gotta ask, why not just put a clutch spring in with a few less pounds of pressure? I mean you have the VPC to handle the clutch as the RPM's go up. Hoss noted this earlier on. Even if you get to 130/130 (dyno tuning and head work is the way to get these numbers) it's not going to make that power under 2,000 RPM's.

I think your bike would have had the 37882-06A clutch spring, I think rated at 260 lbs pressure. The SE spring would have about 380 lbs pressure. Go in between somewhere like a 37871-04 rated at 300 lbs pressure, or the 37871-98A rated at 320 lbs pressure.

The pressure stated is numbers I've gotten off the HTT site over the years. I have no idea exactly how accurate they are. But in concept the pressure spacing should be pretty close percentage wise.

Jim Bronson

I would love to install a lighter spring if I knew it would handle the load and reduce lever effort, but I'm not sure it would fix the current problem of the 'notchiness'. It didn't have the problem when it was stock. I'm only using the SE spring because it is the same one that was included in the 110 kit that I installed on my RK.

Hossamania

The spring was included with the kit as the kit was not anticipating the use of a vpc.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

You might reach out to m1marty and ask him what he did for a clutch on this 110 making 125/125. His clutch isn't slipping based on the dyno pull. Takes headwork and a good tune to get the power up here.

110 Making 125/125

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on August 29, 2022, 08:15:01 PMThe spring was included with the kit as the kit was not anticipating the use of a vpc.
Good point Hoss.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 29, 2022, 08:29:12 PMYou might reach out to m1marty and ask him what he did for a clutch on this 110 making 125/125. His clutch isn't slipping based on the dyno pull. Takes headwork and a good tune to get the power up here.
Will do. I love the power it makes, so no problems there.

Jim Bronson

I changed the spring, and the effort is much less. I haven't ridden lately because of the heat, but I'm sure it will help with my hand pain. Thanks for the suggestion.

david lee

on my trike i run a hydraulic clutch. its so easy on the lever

Ohio HD

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 10, 2022, 01:16:10 PMI changed the spring, and the effort is much less. I haven't ridden lately because of the heat, but I'm sure it will help with my hand pain. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hopefully it holds well and Bob's your uncle.