April 22, 2024, 11:37:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Piston jet gaskets. Should I replace?

Started by les, August 07, 2022, 07:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

I've got my stock 107" sitting in the stand of the engine bench.  It's out of a 2020 Electra Glide Standard.  (The 131" is currently in the frame.)  I'm deciding if I should take the time, money, and trouble to replace the piston jet gaskets with the Cometic.  I don't know if H-D solved the problem by the time the 2020's came out.  I do a long trip at least once a year and when I do I put the 107" in the bike for the trip.  (131" goes back in when I come back home.)

Should I take the trouble to change my 2020 107" M8 piston jet gaskets?
Should I take the trouble to change my son's 2019 107" M8 piston jet gaskets?

kd

Not an answer to your question.  More like asking you one.  How can you stand leaving that power on the table?
KD

rigidthumper

I don't recall finding any loose jets in the later bikes, but I have in some 2017s. Batter to be safe.
Might as well, & while you're there drop on a 124 kit with a good mid range cam (RS468, TTS175, CR480) and  :teeth: 
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

I ran across this video awhile back. It's from T-Man, and what he does when he sets up the piston oilers in the M8 motors.

les

Ok, so we're not seeing loose jets in later (i.e., 2019, 2020) engines, right?

les

Maybe I'll restate my questions.

Has anyone seen firsthand piston jets coming loose on a 2019 M8?
Has anyone seen firsthand piston jets coming loose on a 2020 M8?

Thanks.

les

Quote from: les on August 08, 2022, 06:32:50 PMMaybe I'll restate my questions.

Thanks.

Ok, I think that's been long enough silence to get that the forum members have not firsthand seen piston jets coming loose on either a '19 or '20 M8.  As always, thanks for the help and education.

Deye76

Maybe ask one of the shops that post here.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

HogMike

Thanks.

I did check mine 11/2020 and they were fine.
2019 cvo limited.
 :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

les

Quote from: Deye76 on August 16, 2022, 04:31:56 PMMaybe ask one of the shops that post here.

I did ask the assistant service manager at my local Harley dealer.  He's a top-notch mechanic and straight up guy.  He said he's never seen one come loose on any M8's and has split numerous cases.

les

Quote from: HogMike on August 17, 2022, 03:54:22 AM

Thanks.

I did check mine 11/2020 and they were fine.
2019 cvo limited.
 :nix:

Thank you.

JSD

Quote from: les on August 18, 2022, 02:33:40 PM
Quote from: Deye76 on August 16, 2022, 04:31:56 PMMaybe ask one of the shops that post here.

I did ask the assistant service manager at my local Harley dealer.  He's a top-notch mechanic and straight up guy.  He said he's never seen one come loose on any M8's and has split numerous cases.
He may be lucky as some earlier years were found loose

les

Agreed, some were found to be loose.  It's just that it's a big job to check them and I'd be bummed if I did it all for nothing.  Again, thanks for the replies.

Kllongbrake

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the 131" that you don't want to take a long trip with it?

les

Quote from: Kllongbrake on September 02, 2022, 04:22:23 AMJust out of curiosity, what's wrong with the 131" that you don't want to take a long trip with it?

Nothing specifically wrong that I couldn't take it on a long trip.  It's just a matter of preference. 

When I'm home I like to show off the 131", as I get LOTS of compliments.  To us, a big bore engine is quite commonplace, but I've found that most folks have not actually seen one except mine.  Plus, it's fun to locally hotrod around with the big engine.  Contrary, on a cross country trip I'm not interested at all at showing off or hot-rodding.  In addition to running the quieter and cooler 107", I'll put my stock E-Glide Standard wheels back on (swapping out the lower profile black Agitator wheels/tires).  The chubby stock tires make for a slightly softer ride.  Finally, since I'm not out to impress on a cross country trip, I'm able to increase the longevity of the 131".  It's literally like having two bikes in one.  Each has its own specific purpose.  It's more pleasant for me to be riding a "Goldwing" sounding bike when I'm riding hundreds of miles every day for weeks on end.

JSD

A lot of work doing the motor swaps every time you get home from a big ride F that

les

Quote from: JSD on September 02, 2022, 05:54:43 PMA lot of work doing the motor swaps every time you get home from a big ride F that

Yes, it is a lot of work.  I'm retired and one thing I discovered about being retired is that now no job is too big to take on.  In other words, now I can get busy and stay busy.

Hossamania

I'm lazy enough that I would just buy a second bike!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

KD

les

Quote from: Hossamania on September 03, 2022, 09:19:38 AMI'm lazy enough that I would just buy a second bike!

Yes, but it requires two things.  Lazy AND having a big enough garage.  "Les's Harley Corner" ain't got any more room.  The main reason I don't have a tire changer.

Also, the engine swaps are not as bad as they seem.  I only take a cross country trip once a year.  So, one back and forth engine swap is not all that bad.