March 28, 2024, 10:21:11 PM

News:

Solid lifter conversion

Started by flhs90, August 08, 2022, 09:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Quote from: HogMike on August 14, 2022, 07:33:02 AM
Quote from: flhs90 on August 14, 2022, 07:29:02 AM
Quote from: kd on August 09, 2022, 06:53:50 AMDave, the extra pics and info is helpful.  It appears to me you have S&S solids (or a similar copy).  As the JW and others stated, solids work well in shovels and the cast cylinder expansion rate (cylider hight growth) is a big part of it.  The only difference between ironhead sporty and shovels are the aluminum heads on the shovel.  They expand a little more than the ironheads.  The consequence is a little loosening of the adjustment tolerance on the shovels when up to temp.  Being OCD on the adjustment resolves that.  Snug fit but not too tight the way that you describe doing yours is correct.  Too tight will make a kicker hard to start in cold weather because they will get tighter and bleed off compression when starting.

FWIW I have never run hydraulics in my shovel because the solids work so well and there is no worries about a future crippling failure.  I also love the sound of a well set group of solids working together. Others may disagree but not many.  :wink:

:oil:
KD and Deye,
Took my time going over the adjustments. For sure it is part of my getting acquainted with how the bike is set up. If I'm not mistaken the Sifton Cobra 112 is for solids, if anyone knows otherwise I would like 2 hear back. I do not mind the extra noise over hydraulics and am very happy doing what I can to make it reliable again.

FWIW:
I ran my 65 pan with Sifton 440 cam and spring loaded solid conversion insert cups for many years with no problems.
 :missed:
Now HogMike, u made my day.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

xlfan

What purpose does the faint spring in the solid conversion tops really serve? The only reason I could see, is to take up lash (that shouldn't be there in the first place) when the engine isn't running.

HogMike

Quote from: xlfan on March 23, 2023, 11:11:05 PMWhat purpose does the faint spring in the solid conversion tops really serve? The only reason I could see, is to take up lash (that shouldn't be there in the first place) when the engine isn't running.

They told me years ago it was supposed to "soften the hammering".
It was a pretty stout spring.
Don't know about that, I always set the pushrods tight cold and they ran fine.

The idea was that everything was supposed to grow/shrink at the same rate as the motor got hot. Seemed to work on my bike for years, never had any issues.

JMHO
 :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal