May 02, 2024, 04:13:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear master cylinder on 01 FLHT need help

Started by joelp34252, August 13, 2022, 06:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelp34252

Am going through the rear brakes. Bought new cartridge for the rear master cylinder as Harley will not supply individual parts.Cannot get clevis to screw off the rod. Factory service manual is no help. Says to screw off clevis but the rod it screws into just turns. Anybody got a trick or is there a special tool that I am missing?

Joel 2001 Flht 1982 FXRT  72 XLCH 59 ST165

fleetmechanic

August 14, 2022, 11:18:28 AM #1 Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 12:30:20 PM by fleetmechanic
There are two small and one large retaining rings in that area.  The inside end of the clevis is a round ball end.
If all the rings are removed it should slide out.

joelp34252

Thanks Fleet, I finally got it.The ball does unscrew from the clevis, but it is loctited so it wont come apart that way.I was able to get the large retaining ring off at the end of the return spring and pull the assembly off after removing the rubber boot. Then remove the small retaining ring so the ball can come out of the socket. I know this sounds cryptic but if your taking it apart you will understand. Actually the way this is assembled I thing Harley wants you to just buy the whole assembly and be done with it.

Joel

fleetmechanic

Once it's out you can loosen the jamnut against the clevis and grip the rod and then unscrew the fitting.

joelp34252

Upon further inspection.This is on an 01 FLHT.The end of the rod the ball is attached to has a groove cut into the end of it. A small roll pin is driven through the clevis and mates with that groove to keep the parts from screwing apart. There is no jam nut on this year and model. I wish this info was in my 2001 service manual'

Joel

fleetmechanic

I forgot about that, And it's a very small roll pln.