April 19, 2024, 05:39:44 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Transmission question

Started by hogmandon, August 18, 2022, 06:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmandon

A few yrs ago I bought a SE six speed and put it in my 06 RG. It was quiet for 5000 m then 4th and 6th got noises to the point that I bought and installed a backer rebuild kit.
All was good for 15,000m and now noise is back. Is one of the bearings in there a weak point. Sixth gear power comes through threw the front shaft with the needle bearing , could that be the problem. Don t want to have to rebuild tranny every few yrs. any ideas are welcome.

pauly

Hi Hogmandon,
Are you using gear oil in it? (I ask because some people use 20w50 engine oil in the tranny) If not, try some quality 75/90 gear oil.
Thanks
Pauly

hogmandon

Never went with what HD said. Gear oil for gears red line shock proof now but have used 70/90 and same results just picked up 90/145 to try

pauly

Me too!
Was just checking because a lot of people put engine oil in the tranny and often complain about noise from the straight cut gears.

Thanks
Pauly

hogmandon

just got around to change the oil to 90/145 and noise is not nearly as load, still there but much more quiet. Only 1,000m on new oil so will see after more miles how it is.