May 03, 2024, 01:31:55 AM

News:

Best way to upgrade a 2003 FXDX camchest

Started by KevH, October 17, 2022, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevH

What's the preferred method of updating a 2003 FXDX camchest?

I would like to use Feuling 525 cams, which are available in either standard chain, conversion, or gear drive.

I don't want to keep the "silent" rear chain so I think the Screamin Eagle conversion plate and pump are out.

I looked at the complete kit with Feuling conversion cams and their OE+ stuff and it runs around $1800 (ouch!).

If my runout is good, what would the preferred method to upgrade the cam chest be?

speedzter

The cheapest/easy way is to use the late model stock hydraulic tensioner  camplate and pump, along with conversion Cams of your choice.

I have actually bought several low km used HD camplates very cheaply.

Ohio HD

Plenty of posts on the site where people have upgraded the early TC cam chest to the later cam chest.

Twin Cam Early To Late Cam Chest Upgrade

Hossamania

I really like my gear drive cams, over 100,000 miles with nary a thought given to any maintenance, but the crank run out needs to be very tight and hopefully no change as miles add up, as that has potential to break expensive stuff.
The late model hydraulic camplate is the popular and safe choice.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Mi Infidel

I just upgraded my original spring tensioner shoes to the Cyco shoes and saved a butt ton of money. I'm using S&S 510 cams right now but I'm looking to upgrade soon as well.
2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

smoserx1

I did a conversion cam upgrade on my 99 11 years ago and the parts cost about $650 then, and I already had adjustable pushrods installed from a previous service.  I used Andrews 21N cams and the other stuff was stock harley 2007 parts.  Based on 11 years worth of inflation plus getting really nice fueling stuff, $1800 does not sound bad.  Anyway last year after 70000 miles I replaced the tensioner units and the oem pads were barely worn.  I replaced them with the fueling tensioners (their pads were red).  I wouldn't go back with spring loaded tensioiers, even the ones with cyco pads.  To me it is just too much work not to use something that will really last and give you peace of mind.

Dogbone45ACP

I did the conversion on both of my Twin Cams. If I were to do it today I would use Cyclo shoes with the spring- loaded tensioners. At my age I'll never wear them out. Better selection of cams also.