Which Front Suspension Do You or Would You Prefer?

Started by les, August 22, 2022, 09:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

The bike is a 2020 Electra Glide, and I've just installed the Screamin' Eagle Ohlins rear shocks.  Now looking to maybe upgrade the front suspension and considering:

Ohlins FKS 228 NIX 22 Cartridge Kit with the 08790-12 12 N/mm spring

or,

Legend AXEO FLH Front End Suspension Kit

or,

???

Hossamania

A friend of mine swears by this one, it says thru model year 2018, but may have something for yours as well, I'm not sure of the diferrences between 2018 and 2020 models. I have not tried it yet, but it may be going into my '12 in the next few weeks if I can pull it off. He really likes it on his.
Another friend went with full Ohlins, but that was $1000 more expensive than this, though he really likes his too.

https://street.pro-action.com/fork-kits
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

ultrafxr

I have the Legend Axeo front cartridge system and it is an improvement over stock . . . but it is a bit firm on really bumpy roads but you don't want the front end so soft it wallows.  It does a good job of keeping the front wheel planted and that is what is most important.  I think I set the pre-load adjustment to the 'softest' position but now I'm wondering if I did or not?

harpwrench

I have a 16 and my brother has a 14, I don't know if 20's are different inside. But he put in axeo's and it rode rough, had it apart a few times messing with them. I drained the oil on mine via the allen head screw in the bottom and put the same amount of SE heavy back in, and it rode really well. He put the stock guts back in his shortly thereafter. I do this every 25k, the first time it came out very dark but didn't the next 3 times.

les

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'd like to lean towards the Ohlins, but I'm not sure I like the "one fork for compression and the other fork for rebound" technology.  I believe my stock rear shocks had that and it didn't work worth crap.

It could be that I don't know squat about suspension technology and the Ohlins technology is the best in the business.  I'm thinking I need to be educated on yet another aspect of our bikes?

biggzed

Legend and Ohlins are both very reputable companies.

I had an 07 RG that I had installed Pro-Action 11" shocks and Progressive Monotube -2" front. The bike actually rode pretty well for how low it was. It handled great right up to the point I ran out of lean angle due to the lowered ride height. I'm not a hard charging corner carver, so I was very happy with the set- up. I'm not suggesting what I did is right for you. I'm just sharing my (limited) experience with HD touring suspension.

My goal for doing the change was to get the best ride out of the lowest suspension I could get. I felt I accomplished that goal. What are your goals?

Zach

les

After doing some more research, I think I'm leaning even more towards to Ohlins.  I understand better having one shock compression and the other rebound.  Also, the Ohlins have preload, compression, and rebound ALL adjustable without having to disassemble the forks. 

Thanks Zach for the reply.

Hossamania

August 23, 2022, 07:23:58 AM #7 Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 12:12:26 PM by Hossamania
As mentioned, my friend with the Ohlins front suspension loves it, but he did say that he has to remove the handlebars to get at the adjustments. Your experience may be different, he has aftermarket bars.
Still much easier than having to get back into the fork tubes to do adjustments.

CarlosGGodfrog

Hossamania

scott7d

I had ProAction in the front of a 2013 CVO Road King. I put 92,000 miles on that set. I now have Legend Axeo in the front of a 2020 CVO Road Glide and have 93,000 miles on that set. I'd give the edge to the ProAction suspension, and they are also less expensive. However; compared to just using heavier fork oil, neither were worth the cost. There was absolutely no noticeable difference between the heavier fork oil and Axeo especially. It will stop the excessive nose dive and make the bike feel more steady without dropping several hundreds of dollars on an "upgraded" suspension. I regret the Axeo install. I'm also not real impressed with my rear Ohlins 772 compared to the rear ProAction I had, for what it's worth. They bounce like a pogo stick in curves but at the same time ride very rigid. My ProAction set did everything well, I'll eventually be going back.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

TerryJFT

fidel

les

Thanks for all the great comments.  I ended up ordering the Ohlins FSK 228 NIX 22 with the 12/mm springs.  My goals are more stability in the hard charging corners, as I do a lot of twisties riding on southeastern Ohio roads.

In addition to the Ohlins suspension front and rear, I'll be putting in Glide Pro rubbers and getting an adjustable upper engine mount link.  I know my alignment is out of whack, so looking for the adjustable link to make things right with the ass end.

Tail Ridr

Quote from: Hossamania on August 22, 2022, 10:31:25 AMA friend of mine swears by this one, it says thru model year 2018, but may have something for yours as well, I'm not sure of the diferrences between 2018 and 2020 models. I have not tried it yet, but it may be going into my '12 in the next few weeks if I can pull it off. He really likes it on his.
Another friend went with full Ohlins, but that was $1000 more expensive than this, though he really likes his too.

https://street.pro-action.com/fork-kits
I have been interested in this kit as well. They appear to run linear rate springs from the pictures, which makes me think of using Fox replacement springs kit for the same reason.
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

Oclaf

planemech

Ive run the Traxxion AK 20 and Bitubo rear for 25k and like it a lot. Handles good and rides really smooth.

https://traxxion.com/harley-davidson/

DrSpencer

Quote from: planemech on September 02, 2022, 04:08:37 AMIve run the Traxxion AK 20 and Bitubo rear for 25k and like it a lot. Handles good and rides really smooth.

https://traxxion.com/harley-davidson/

My exact setup (2011 Street Glide).

ziggy24

Bitubo makes a front cartridge kit now as well.

https://brocksperformance.com/v-twin/suspension/fork-cartridges/

Fully adjustable as well:

Adjustable features include:

Hydraulic spring preload (10 clicks)
    Hydraulic compression (20 clicks)
    Hydraulic rebound (20 clicks)
    Manual length (1.18" / 30 mm)