April 25, 2024, 09:35:46 AM

News:

Pushrod Locknuts Won't Budge

Started by billbuilds, August 25, 2022, 09:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

S&S 124LC in a 2011 FLHRC. Went to adjust pushrods (first time) and found the locknuts impossible to loosen. I have a decent 7/16" Snap-On combo wrench and a 7/16" brake line wrench. I heated one of the nuts up for a bit with a small crackhead-type butane lighter and still no joy. Has anybody ever had this much trouble and is the remedy more heat or a set of bolt cutters? This is incredibly frustrating. Thanks, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Coyote

I've never found the need but some people put locktite on them.

billbuilds

I am the only owner of the engine, it came from the manufacturer this way.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

SP33DY

You may want to try a set of tappet wrenches, they haven't failed me yet!
Tappet wrench

biggzed

More heat and maybe a buddy to pull one wrench. See which one of you ends up on your A$$ first. LOL

Zach

billbuilds

Well I decided to go for it with the 3/8" Snap-On combination wrench and an import brake line wrench. Figured if I rounded the nuts off I'd cut the damn things out. With a fair amount of umpff I finally got them to break free. Of course the last one, the front intake, almost ate my dinner.
                                               Thanks for the replies, Bill 

Appowner

And make double sure you're cranking on them in the right direction.  Easy to confuse.  Don't ask how I know.

Rockout Rocker Products

I've found the best technique is to orient the wrenches so that they are in a V shape... kinda like those spring grip strengtheners that you hold in one hand... squeeze the wrenches together... something will quickly give.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

kd

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 26, 2022, 07:33:19 AMI've found the best technique is to orient the wrenches so that they are in a V shape... kinda like those spring grip strengtheners that you hold in one hand... squeeze the wrenches together... something will quickly give.

That's the way to do it.  It turns the effort into a one handed squeeze.  Take care to orient the wrenches to be fully engaged depth wise and at a 90* angle to the fastener.  That will reduce any slipping that can damage the hex on the fastener and cause slippage.  It doesn't take a wide V position and usually the most power in your hand is close to a closed fist position.
KD

JSD

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on August 26, 2022, 07:33:19 AMI've found the best technique is to orient the wrenches so that they are in a V shape... kinda like those spring grip strengtheners that you hold in one hand... squeeze the wrenches together... something will quickly give.
Thats the way i was shown back in the 70s

JSD

Bill i use a drop of blue loctite on the nuts

billbuilds

Quote from: JSD on August 26, 2022, 08:21:01 AMBill i use a drop of blue loctite on the nuts

Man, it felt like someone used red Loctite 272 on that front intake, of course the last one of the for that I adjusted. I used the scissor trick n the first three but when that wouldn't work I resorted to the pec-deck method. I only used Loctite once on my 99 Road King with the Smith Brothers quickie pushrods. I was very sparing with it but I would not do it again. I had no problem getting the locknuts to loosen but it munged those fine threads up more than I cared for and those need to be clean for an easy installation. It was discussed on here a while ago and most agreed that Loctite was not necessary but if it works for you, well that's what counts.  Thanks, Bill

Ohio HD

I never Loctite pushrods, it's not needed.

kd

KD

Hossamania

The few I've done I've not used loctite.
Glad you got them loose, mechanical work can be frustrating at times.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.