April 23, 2024, 11:03:17 AM

News:

2016 FLHX

Started by Fugawee, August 27, 2022, 10:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fugawee

My Nephew and His Buddy stopped by a while ago on their Bikes to say hello.  His Buddy just picked up a 16' FLHX with 4K miles on it a few days back.  It's got the Stage I done to it, and the color is Black Denim.  Looks more like Flat Black to Me, and kind of feels "rough".  The Bike is nice and appears to be in good shape mechanically, just a filthy mess.  Needs a GOOD cleaning.

The question here is...After cleaning it, what type of wax should be used on this paint?  Does it really matter?  I've never had, and neither has He...had anything with that dull of a finish on it, so I was hesitant to give Him an answer, and He doesn't want to screw anything up.  I don't know anybody with that type of paint on an HD. I know a couple of Guys with "Rat-Rods" that are similar in paint...but Them waxing them is out of the question.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.

fbn ent

I don't think that you wax that paint...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Fugawee

Thanks Very Much for the responses, Guys...Denim Paint maintenance is a new one on Me.
And, fbn ent...You are correct Sir, No Wax.  I learned something today.  I was able to find a YouTube Video from Laidlaw's HD in California.  They state that the Denim Paint is for those that don't like to wax their Bike.  They recommend washing with Dawn dish soap, dry it, then use HD Denim Paint Cleaner (of course).  If You don't use the HD stuff...Windex is the next best.  I would have never known that.  They have a lot of Pro's and Con's about the Denim Paint.  I'll tell My Nephews Buddy to watch the video.  He can decide what's best for Him and His Bike.

Thanks Again, Take Care.

lilchief

My RG is denim black. You can use any car wash soap that does not contain wax. I have some Chemical Guys Matte Paint wash that I use.
I've found that the HD Denim paint cleaner works the best, with Bugslide being a close second. The HD cleaner is worth the $13 IMO.
Lil Chief

Fugawee

Lil Chief,  Thanks Very Much for Your response.  Appreciate it.  I'll pass it on to My Nephews Buddy.
The Denim Paint I am not familiar with at all, and neither is He from the way it sounds.  Both of Us are getting an education.

Thanks Again, Take Care.

Coyote

Basically no rubbing or buffing as that will burnish the finish.  (Make it shiny.)

lilchief

Quote from: Fugawee on August 27, 2022, 03:14:24 PMLil Chief,  Thanks Very Much for Your response.  Appreciate it.  I'll pass it on to My Nephews Buddy.
The Denim Paint I am not familiar with at all, and neither is He from the way it sounds.  Both of Us are getting an education.

Thanks Again, Take Care.

You're very welcome.  I should add that I live on gravel, so what I usually do between washes is use a California Duster first and clean the dust off, then spray a section at a time with the HD cleaner and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth.
And as stated above, no hard rubbing or buffing with any type of cleaner or compound or it will result it shiny spots that are permanent.

calif phil

Wizards, Muc Off and others make a matte finish detailer that works good to keep it clean. 

Fugawee

Calif Phil, Thanks Very Much for Your input.  I appreciate it.  I will pass this info along to the Bike's Proud Owner, as well as all the other that I received.  The Owner just stepped into the HD World after riding a larger Metric Cruiser for quite some time.  For what it's worth He says that He really loves the Bike, and wishes He had gotten one sooner.  Thanks Again.
And Thanks Again to All of You for Your responses.  Take Care.

tomcat64

F-11 topcoat works really well on HD denim paint..