April 20, 2024, 08:17:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Balancing tires, static vs dynamic

Started by Nebraskarider1, August 27, 2022, 09:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraskarider1

Guys who do a lot of tires do you balance them dynamically or just static? I have just been using the static setting on my machine because I figured the wheels are pretty narrow and it takes less weights. Thoughts, suggestions?

Ohio HD

I've always static balanced them. Works just fine.

JohnCA58

I always static balance rears and fronts, the front which 21 in and I don't want weight on the wheel I static balance them and put the same weight amount of ceramic beads in the wheel and works out great. rears being 180 tire never had any luck with the bead so use outside weights instead.
YOLO

Norton Commando

Always static balancing for me.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Deye76

On my FXR, with a couple different brands of tires, could never get the rear to balance on a machine (2 different machines), static got it done. No vibration or any other problems.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

motorhogman

I've been using Ride ON.. Haven't balanced a tire over the past 3 or 4 changes. Just put a new front on and after a few miles ran her up to 90 and vibration free. I rarely ever run over 75 around here.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

lilchief

I just put new Avon Cobra Chromes on my Fatboy. I used Dyna Beads in them and no issues with vibration. (From the wheels & tires anyway.)

kouack

Beads also in my tires, no vibration(from tire lol) at +110mph. The only time i had weights on my wheels was because my motorcycle was new from the dealership.

IronButt70

No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

fleetmechanic

We have Snap On balancers.  I learned early on that the dynamic setting will have you chasing from one side to the other all day long.  Static setting and we quit once down to .25 oz.

capn

Most quality tires just line up the dot with the stem you are good to go.

Ohio HD

Your wheels aren't that well balanced. I've never seen that line up the valve stem to a dot hold any water, they always need balancing. I've mounted and balanced a few hundred motorcycle tires in my life. And many tires come without a dot. What then?

calif phil

Static balancing for me. I never see the dot make much difference, but do line it up, just because.  Avon's have no dot.   Ride On is great stuff and no problems with Dyna Beads either. 

motorhogman

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 29, 2022, 10:09:46 AMYour wheels aren't that well balanced. I've never seen that line up the valve stem to a dot hold any water, they always need balancing. I've mounted and balanced a few hundred motorcycle tires in my life. And many tires come without a dot. What then?

Forget where I saw this.. Somebody asked a mfg why there was no "dot" on their tires.  They said something like, because we make them round.. LOL
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

capn

Ive always had good luck just lining up the dot.No vibration or wobble.

Coyote

Quote from: capn on August 29, 2022, 03:26:07 PMIve always had good luck just lining up the dot.No vibration or wobble.

Most wouldn't know if it wasn't balanced at all.