May 03, 2024, 11:58:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Battery good won't start

Started by Lone Ranger, August 28, 2022, 08:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Ranger

2014 Limited battery shows 12.7 volts when I turn ignition switch on to start bike fuel pump cycles on and headlight, taillights,and running lamps come on but nothing else. No gauges, no infotainment, passing lamps won't turn on. I have checked fuses they're all good. Kill switch is turned on.Thought about something with security system but odometer doesn't even come on to enter pin. I replaced battery in key fob. Could it be something like body control module if it has something like that? Any ideas?

03rg

Pull the main fuse and / or disconnect the battery? I'd pull the main wait a minute or so, plug it back in.
If that doesn't do it, pull the main, disconnect the battery, wait a minute or two and then reconnect the battery and replace the main fuse.

Hossamania

Broken wire at the neck? Try turning the bars back and forth from stop to stop.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Lone Ranger

Quote from: 03rg on August 28, 2022, 10:13:20 AMPull the main fuse and / or disconnect the battery? I'd pull the main wait a minute or so, plug it back in.
If that doesn't do it, pull the main, disconnect the battery, wait a minute or two and then reconnect the battery and replace the main fuse.
Thanks for your reply. I had the negative battery terminal disconnected for several hours, pulled the 50 amp main fuse and it ohm's out fine. Checked voltage at the battery it's 12.8v, voltage at main fuse is 12.2v. Same problem nothing has power except a few lights.

Lone Ranger

Quote from: Hossamania on August 28, 2022, 10:28:42 AMBroken wire at the neck? Try turning the bars back and forth from stop to stop.
Thanks Hoss, just tried this after reading your reply, still same issue.

Coyote

Test the P&A relay. Also make sure the 7.5amp system fuse has power on both sides.

Lone Ranger

Quote from: Coyote on August 28, 2022, 12:25:55 PMTest the P&A relay. Also make sure the 7.5amp system fuse has power on both sides.
Thank you for responding. My 7.5 amp system fuse checks out good but no power on either side like all other fuses have. However I do get power on both sides when I turn ignition switch on. Shortly after turn signals flash after turning ignition switch back off power to system fuse is lost. How do I test the p&a relay? I get resistance from 2 terminals on it, same with the cooling or horn relay next to it.

Coyote

Quote from: Lone Ranger on August 28, 2022, 01:15:02 PM
Quote from: Coyote on August 28, 2022, 12:25:55 PMTest the P&A relay. Also make sure the 7.5amp system fuse has power on both sides.
Thank you for responding. My 7.5 amp system fuse checks out good but no power on either side like all other fuses have. However I do get power on both sides when I turn ignition switch on. Shortly after turn signals flash after turning ignition switch back off power to system fuse is lost. How do I test the p&a relay? I get resistance from 2 terminals on it, same with the cooling or horn relay next to it.

All of that gets power from the BCM. Time to check power to the BCM

Lone Ranger

Quote from: Coyote on August 28, 2022, 01:29:53 PM
Quote from: Lone Ranger on August 28, 2022, 01:15:02 PM

All of that gets power from the BCM. Time to check power to the BCM

Disconnected the single red wire to BCM and it has power to BCM. Not sure how to disconnect the big loom of wires connected to BCM, looks like they hinge or pivot off somehow?

Coyote

Probably gonna need someone with a Centurion or DigTech to see if the BCM is communicating.

Lone Ranger

Quote from: Coyote on August 28, 2022, 02:41:49 PMProbably gonna need someone with a Centurion or DigTech to see if the BCM is communicating.

I have a Dynojet Power Vision on the bike, it won't turn on just like the gauges so I doubt I could use it?

Coyote

Lone Ranger

Found it! It was wire going to Power Vision display I have mounted on handlebars. I had a plastic zip tie holding wire to power vision to another bigger loom of wires down at the neck and had it too tight and must've pinched one of the wires. Thanks for everyone who helped.

Coyote

Did you fix the damaged wire?  :scratch:

Lone Ranger

August 29, 2022, 08:04:33 PM #14 Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 08:31:01 PM by Lone Ranger
Quote from: Coyote on August 29, 2022, 05:47:18 PMDid you fix the damaged wire?  :scratch:
Not yet. I think I might just get another 6 pin data cable and another monitor kit so I don't have to switch the one I have between bikes. I purchased a license for my 02 Fatboy for $200.