April 19, 2024, 05:12:50 PM

News:

Clutch Chatter

Started by conmag, September 03, 2022, 05:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conmag

2014 Tri Glide with Rushmore motor, anyone else have trouble with clutch Chatter at idle, I have been told it's a common problem with these, wondering if anyone has a fix for it, compensator Is in like new condition

JSD

What primary oil you using ? The noise only when clutch is disengaged ?

Ohio HD

Quote from: conmag on September 03, 2022, 05:48:10 PM2014 Tri Glide with Rushmore motor, anyone else have trouble with clutch Chatter at idle, I have been told it's a common problem with these, wondering if anyone has a fix for it, compensator Is in like new condition

The springs on the compensator can get weak. They may need replaced or shimmed. Go through Joe Lyons post on the compensator spring height.

Your bike should have the A&S clutch in it. As far as I know they're pretty stout.

14+ compensator spring preload check

conmag

Use formula + in the primary, does it with the clutch in our out. You can tighten the chain and get rid of the chatter, but you I don't want to run chain that tight,

kd

Quote from: conmag on September 03, 2022, 07:14:56 PMUse formula + in the primary, does it with the clutch in our out. You can tighten the chain and get rid of the chatter, but you I don't want to run chain that tight,

I think Ohio nailed it.  What is your idle rpm and cams?  A low or lumpy idle will set off a rattle in the comp if it is loose.   The extra weight and work (movement) the comp does in the heavier Tri Glide  can wear the assembly in pretty quick. A loose chain will accentuate it too. If you follow the instructions in the 14+ comp thread it may show the comp to be marginal in the stack height.  Adding the shim(s) if needed will fix it.   
KD