Replacing Belt & Rear Sprocket. Do I Also Need to Replace Front Sprocket?

Started by DrSpencer, July 02, 2023, 06:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSpencer

Quote from: Tacocaster on July 21, 2023, 08:14:41 PMI've done Swing arm bushings on 2007,2008,2010 and 2011 Touring models and no alignment was required.

I did an alignment on a 2005 (engine replacement) and my own 2007 for shi&s n' giggles, also an attempt an alignment on a 2011 after installing a replacement engine by using the SM for that year, however there was no alignment detail required other than the Engine Installation procedure that I could find/see.

Anyway, if your find your Service Manual says it can be done and you think there might be an issue with your alignment (although it should be good based on what you've shared with us) there's a vid on Youtube "Simple Frame Alignment Using Lasers" by J.D. Miller (for earlier models) that opened the door of understanding for me. Hopefully it can shed some light for you as well if you're determined to get into it.

My bike tracked perfectly before this repair. No 'Bagger wobble', etc. I see no reason why it shouldn't be good to go.

One thing, though....Should I now readjust my True-Trak stabilizer, or is that device completely independent of the effect any new swingarm bushings/bearings may have?

Thanks

kd

Quote from: DrSpencer on July 21, 2023, 08:23:29 PM
Quote from: Tacocaster on July 21, 2023, 08:14:41 PMI've done Swing arm bushings on 2007,2008,2010 and 2011 Touring models and no alignment was required.

I did an alignment on a 2005 (engine replacement) and my own 2007 for shi&s n' giggles, also an attempt an alignment on a 2011 after installing a replacement engine by using the SM for that year, however there was no alignment detail required other than the Engine Installation procedure that I could find/see.

Anyway, if your find your Service Manual says it can be done and you think there might be an issue with your alignment (although it should be good based on what you've shared with us) there's a vid on Youtube "Simple Frame Alignment Using Lasers" by J.D. Miller (for earlier models) that opened the door of understanding for me. Hopefully it can shed some light for you as well if you're determined to get into it.

My bike tracked perfectly before this repair. No 'Bagger wobble', etc. I see no reason why it shouldn't be good to go.

One thing, though....Should I now readjust my True-Trak stabilizer, or is that device completely independent of the effect any new swingarm bushings/bearings may have?

Thanks

I would.  If you installed it when you had "settled" or sagged swingarm rubber bushings the stabilizer may not be even.  In fact I would loosen it right off when installing the rubber cushions to get it settled on centre before reinstalling the True Trac stabilizer.
KD

smoserx1

QuoteI always thought that there was some type of 'adjustment' with regards to the swingarm and 'aligning' the bike so it tracks correctly, but I guess not. It only goes on one way and stays there.

You might be thinking about the much older models.  On my 1999 FLHT there are individual axle adjusters on each side of the swingarm for tightening the drive belt.  If one were adjusted in or out more than the other that would create a yaw situation with the cocked rear tire trying to steer the bike.  In the early 2000s time frame H-D changed this to a cam type adjuster that allowed you to only adjust one side and the other side would move the same amount, maintaining alignment of the rear wheel.