April 24, 2024, 09:08:36 PM

News:

Twin Cam Engine Swap

Started by hattitude, September 05, 2022, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I'll spare you the back story, totally hypothetical at the moment.... but...

If I decided to swap a 124" S&S crate engine from a 2016 Ultra Classic into a 2015 Low Rider, would it be an easy bolt-in mod.....??

Since I don't currently have, nor have I ever worked on a Twin Cam Dyna model, I'm kind of clueless about the differences...

Other than adding the S&S oil line kit, or drilling the S&S engine case to omit the oil line kit...

From what I've read looking into this, the only difference is the head on the touring bike. I've read the touring head has a threaded hole for the front stabilizer, which is not used/needed on the Dyna...

Am I correct...   :nix:

rigidthumper

Remove, install, enjoy!
You'll need a bigger cable drive TB, & proper injectors, and a tune.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hattitude

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 06, 2022, 05:31:06 AMRemove, install, enjoy!
You'll need a bigger cable drive TB, & proper injectors, and a tune.

Thanks for the info...   :up:

The engine is already running in my 2016 bagger, so the throttle body, injectors, and dyno tune are all dialed in from that install....

I'm just contemplating putting the 124" crate engine in a 2015 Low Rider, and putting the original HD 103" (now 107") engine back in the 2016 Bagger...

What can I say, messing with my bikes is my retirement hobby...   :SM:

Ohio HD

The change in exhaust may have some effect on how the tune works after the swap.

rigidthumper

The touring bike is Electronic Throttle Control that came with -01b injectors, & the Dyna is cable drive, that came with -06A injectors, so not compatable.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 06, 2022, 10:32:08 AMThe touring bike is Electronic Throttle Control that came with -01b injectors, & the Dyna is cable drive, that came with -06A injectors, so not compatable.

Good point. Completely different MAP. 

hattitude

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 06, 2022, 10:32:08 AMThe touring bike is Electronic Throttle Control that came with -01b injectors, & the Dyna is cable drive, that came with -06A injectors, so not compatable.

OK, now I get what he meant... thanks for that info.. :up: