Changing wheel bearings on 2021 Prodigy wheels using heartland tools

Started by klammer76, September 06, 2022, 06:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

I have had a Heartland (now MBS) wheel bearing removal/installer kit for years. Have used it on my 2002 with 1" bearings and works great. I now also have a 2021 RGS with the 25mm bearings (ABS as well). The Heartland kit only comes with 3/4" and 1" removal collets but does include a 25mm installer piolt. Will the 1" collet work on the 25mm bearing to pull it? Anyone used it for this? No idea why they don't include the 25mm collet that other manufactures do.

Also, on the newer wheels with the brake rotors that have wide spacing (Prodigy etc) what is used to support the puller cup? The only thing I see is the Jims tool that is made for this but it's fairly expensive for what it is.

Thanks, klammer

kd

25 mm is .984 inches.  That's pretty darn close.  Did you try it?
KD

millerm64

Quote from: klammer76 on September 06, 2022, 06:18:48 AMI have had a Heartland (now MBS) wheel bearing removal/installer kit for years. Have used it on my 2002 with 1" bearings and works great. I now also have a 2021 RGS with the 25mm bearings (ABS as well). The Heartland kit only comes with 3/4" and 1" removal collets but does include a 25mm installer piolt. Will the 1" collet work on the 25mm bearing to pull it? Anyone used it for this? No idea why they don't include the 25mm collet that other manufactures do.

Also, on the newer wheels with the brake rotors that have wide spacing (Prodigy etc) what is used to support the puller cup? The only thing I see is the Jims tool that is made for this but it's fairly expensive for what it is.

Thanks, klammer

Yes, the 1" collet will work fine. I pretty much just use the 1" for either.
As far as a support for the puller cup I often cut something out of plywood and shape it as needed.  The plywood will give some but doesn't scratch or nick an aluminum wheel. If needed just use 1/8" steel/alum sheet scrap between cup and wood for a little more precision.

MBS also sells the collets, nuts, washers etc separately if you ever loan the tool out to a friend and it comes back FUBAR. After all these years you would think I would learn.

Coyote

klammer76

Quote from: kd on September 06, 2022, 06:27:35 AM25 mm is .984 inches.  That's pretty darn close.  Did you try it?
Not yet, that's why I'm asking. This will be for a project slightly down the road.

klammer76

Quote from: millerm64 on September 06, 2022, 06:59:17 AM
Quote from: klammer76 on September 06, 2022, 06:18:48 AMI have had a Heartland (now MBS) wheel bearing removal/installer kit for years. Have used it on my 2002 with 1" bearings and works great. I now also have a 2021 RGS with the 25mm bearings (ABS as well). The Heartland kit only comes with 3/4" and 1" removal collets but does include a 25mm installer piolt. Will the 1" collet work on the 25mm bearing to pull it? Anyone used it for this? No idea why they don't include the 25mm collet that other manufactures do.

Thanks, klammer

Yes, the 1" collet will work fine. I pretty much just use the 1" for either.
As far as a support for the puller cup I often cut something out of plywood and shape it as needed.  The plywood will give some but doesn't scratch or nick an aluminum wheel. If needed just use 1/8" steel/alum sheet scrap between cup and wood for a little more precision.

MBS also sells the collets, nuts, washers etc separately if you ever loan the tool out to a friend and it comes back FUBAR. After all these years you would think I would learn.

Thanks. I knew 1" & 25mm are very close but wanted to check. Yeah, you would think I would know better also. To be honest, I forgot about it for a bit and he moved and lost it in moving things. He's offered to replace it.

klammer76

Quote from: Coyote on September 06, 2022, 07:47:27 AMMy kit from them had both a 25mm and 1 inch
Hmmm, all of the pictures of their kits and instruction sheets show just the 3/4" and 1" removal collets. They show the 3/4, 25mm & 1" installers plus the back plate.

Coyote

Quote from: klammer76 on September 06, 2022, 10:02:23 AM
Quote from: Coyote on September 06, 2022, 07:47:27 AMMy kit from them had both a 25mm and 1 inch
Hmmm, all of the pictures of their kits and instruction sheets show just the 3/4" and 1" removal collets. They show the 3/4, 25mm & 1" installers plus the back plate.

At one time they did all three.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Ohio HD

The one inch collet works fine with 25mm bearings. I have the same MBS kit.

klammer76

Quote from: Coyote on September 06, 2022, 10:09:47 AM
Quote from: klammer76 on September 06, 2022, 10:02:23 AM

At one time they did all three.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Well, there you have it. Your kit must predate mine. I assume they found out, as others here have confirmed that the 1" was fine for both 1" & 25mm and eliminated the 25mm collet.

Ohio HD

Quote from: klammer76 on September 06, 2022, 11:57:47 AMWell, there you have it. Your kit must predate mine. I assume they found out, as others here have confirmed that the 1" was fine for both 1" & 25mm and eliminated the 25mm collet.

It's a pretty snug pop into the 25mm bearing, but it goes. Put a little grease on the ID of the bearing when pushing the collet in. Helps the collet slide in a little.