March 28, 2024, 11:19:56 PM

News:

Stator/rotor questions

Started by Crawler, September 08, 2022, 12:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawler

Just a few question about rotors. My bike is a 2002 softail heritage classic carb model. A loose compensator nut took the teeth off my rotor. From the the searches I've done on the forum. It looks like I have the smaller 32amp rotor. Mines marked high output but the holes in the rotor are not threaded which leads me to believe it the smaller rotor. Is this correct thinking? The bike was still charging even with the rotor splines missing so I was just going to replace the rotor and keep the existing stator. Anyone have a good rotor recommendation. I see from web searches they have rotors with captive magnets are these better? Lastly when I took my compensator off there were no spaces or shims between it and the rotor or between the rotor and main shaft bushing is this common on 02 twincams?

smoserx1

I would replace it with what you had.  A higher amp rotor will make the stator run hotter and unless you need the extra capacity you are gaining nothing and perhaps decreasing reliability.  My bike has the lower amp system and the rotor still says "high output."

calif phil

The OEM rotors are hard to beat, I would check with your local HD dealer. 

Crawler

Thanks guys. I picked up a new rotor from the dealer on Saturday.

FSG

just in passing .....  there's a few bikes still running here in Oz where I've had the rotor welded to the sprocket shaft extension ....

JSD

My 2001 Fxst did not have spline. Also replace a 06 fxst no spline? Both OME HD