April 18, 2024, 06:42:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Service Intervals in the Owners Manual

Started by Oclaf, September 08, 2022, 03:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oclaf

Question to all that have read the manual. Per the manual, 2020 RGS, page 247 - 250, specifically 249, Brake and Clutch systems "Flush brake and clutch systems and replace with DOT 4 hydraulic brake and clutch fluid EVERY TWO YEARS or SOONER if moisture content is 3% or greater."

That is a service the same as replacing engine oil at 1k, 5k and so along with replacing primary and transmission fluids at recommended service intervals PER the Service Interval Chart. And every other service recommended by the chart.

Agree? or what say you?

kd

I don't have your edition of the manual so I can't confirm those intervals.  I have read that failure to comply with the stated intervals may cause serious injury or death.  This refers to possible failure of the ABS brake system or the clutch engagement and disengagement operation.   What does the owner's manual say?
KD

Hossamania

I think replacing the brake and clutch fluids every two years or sooner is a prudent idea.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

IMO, you should change brake fluids in ABS bikes every year. That along with a dig bleed. Two years is too long.

HogMike

I had noticed that the moisture content of the clutch system was higher than the brake system. I usually check them about twice a year, about 10 K miles.

Test then replace as needed. I think it has a lot to do with the climate you are in and how much you ride.

JMHO
 :missed:

HOGMIKE
SoCal

smoserx1

QuoteIMO, you should change brake fluids in ABS bikes every year. That along with a dig bleed. Two years is too long.
:agree: 100%  Long time ago I had Honda MCs with disk brakes and if you went much over a year the fluid in the calipers would start to crystalize and prevent the pistons from retracting properly.  I learned the hard way.  The stuff literally sucks moisture out of the air.  My now almost antique 99 FLHT uses DOT 5 and doesn't need flushing too often because that fluid does not attract water, but it won't work for ABS.

calif phil

I flushed the brakes on a VTX Honda yesterday, it had never been done and the fluid looked like mud, two years works good for most of my customers. Just replaced the ABS module on a 2012 RK last week and the fluid had never been changed, the $1000 repair bill will usually make the customer get on board with flushing.

lilchief

I just did my non abs 2015 RG for the 1st time last month. (A little behind schedule, I know). The brake fluid was still pretty clean, but the clutch fluid, which had been flushed once when HD did the recall in 2016, showed some signs of moisture and muck in the mc.