April 16, 2024, 02:58:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch issues

Started by oldskool, September 12, 2022, 06:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldskool

I had a stud pull from basket. I replaced it and I can't get the clutch to stop dragging. It's never dragged before. I tried everyday possible to adjust it over and over. I tried turning adjustment screw in till the rod was 1/2 inch from starter. I tried turning adj. Screw in till lightly seated and backed off a 1/4. I pulled the plates out which are brand new and noticed one dog in basket I loose on one end. Could this make it drag ? Also should these new fibers be soaked first? What's your adj method ? I may have a couple baskets laying around  I'll have to look for them.

JSD

I run the big fix kit with clutch tamer the black nylon with circlips . Did you replace the pin or complete assemble ? I set up a dial guage and check run out. I have seen .005" on after market hubs. What plates you running? Is it converted to wet clutch?  Your adjustment sonds good.

RTMike

Do the clutch plates move smoothly on the studs after you replaced the broken one,not moving smoothly could be your dragging issue

david lee

Quote from: RTMike on September 13, 2022, 08:44:49 AMDo the clutch plates move smoothly on the studs after you replaced the broken one,not moving smoothly could be your dragging issue
yes i agree. some owners drill out the plate holes slightly

kd

Quote from: david lee on September 13, 2022, 02:17:56 PM
Quote from: RTMike on September 13, 2022, 08:44:49 AMDo the clutch plates move smoothly on the studs after you replaced the broken one,not moving smoothly could be your dragging issue
yes i agree. some owners drill out the plate holes slightly

If the studs are grooved from the discs they can be catchy and don't slid as they should to release.
KD

oldskool

Quote from: JSD on September 12, 2022, 10:13:53 PMI run the big fix kit with clutch tamer the black nylon with circlips . Did you replace the pin or complete assemble ? I set up a dial guage and check run out. I have seen .005" on after market hubs. What plates you running? Is it converted to wet clutch?  Your adjustment sonds good.
. I believe they're also. They're green. And dry clutch

oldskool

Thanks guys.I believe that they're Alto. They're green. I don't think they're binding on studs. I will check them out tomorrow

Excalibur

Too much grease on the rollers will end up on the plates. Some plates work better than others. I like Drag Specs DS-223735 and will get some for my Shovel once they become available again next month.

db13

Quote from: Excalibur on September 13, 2022, 07:15:56 PMToo much grease on the rollers will end up on the plates. Some plates work better than others. I like Drag Specs DS-223735 and will get some for my Shovel once they become available again next month.
Yes it does ...just had to clean mine the other day because it was dragging from build up

oldskool

Ok so I pulled the plates cleaned everything.  Checked studs and drilled the plate holes so ik they're not to tight on studs. Went through adjustments. Still dragging.

Ohio HD

Did you check for bent studs?

oldskool

I did. The plates seemed to be somewhat tight rt at the start going on the studs then slid on easy.i did drill holes in plates a little bit so there weren't tight going on.This clutch has always worked great never had any drag at all till I swapped out the 1 stud and put in these new fiber disc's.

Ohio HD

Put the old disks in and try it.

bump

Adjust the arm that the cable hooks to with the center bolt of clutch. Position of arm will let clutch drag if not right.

JSD

Quote from: bump on September 20, 2022, 02:59:39 AMAdjust the arm that the cable hooks to with the center bolt of clutch. Position of arm will let clutch drag if not right.
Clutch disengaged (lever at bars pulled) do you mean ?

bump

No the lever on trans where the cable connects. The center bolt for clutch push rod will let you set where the lever sets. turn center bolt will move lever front or back. The manual tells how to set lever in position.

david lee

i found if you go by the book you will run out of cable adjustment thread and wont get propper hand lever adjustment

Fugawee

February 25, 2023, 06:18:23 AM #17 Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 06:25:12 AM by Fugawee
I am not aware of a Specific HD Part # for the Rivets you are referring to.  Over the years I have had to replace Rivets on a few various Older Bikes.  I was able to find them on the large online Retailer that starts with "E", and thru a Local Indy that had them in His Shop for His own repair purposes.
Should You decide to repair the Rivet(s) Yourself...You may also need a Specialty Tool to properly set and peen the end of them.  Unless You may already have the Tool, or make something up.
If You should have a decent Indy, or maybe even an HD Dealer in Your area...I think that I would take the Shell to them and see what they say, and if they can fix the problem  by replacing the Rivet(s).
It may be a lot less aggravation and hassle...and possibly cheaper and quicker.
I don't know if the missing Rivet is Your problem...but I don't think it is helping.
I would also have a concern about if one Rivet is broken, or gone...the rest of them may follow suit.
But that's Me.
Good Luck!

JSD

The old trick was to weld them only the threaded studs.

billbuilds

I never understood the backing off the pressure plate adjustment screw by 1/4 turn. Think about what happens to the clutch push rod when you go to adjust for lever free play. It gets pushed right back over toward that adjustment screw.
     Have you viewed how your pressure plate releases when you haul in the clutch? Does it release evenly all the way around or does it tip to one side?
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Fugawee

Just for clarification purposes, and nobody gets confused and is scratching their head...there was a post by the OP stating that He felt there was an issue with the Rivet(s) on the clutch shell, just above My response.
That post has since gone elsewhere.

JSD

I have seen a few pulled when there was only shovel running the roads. We'll the old days. I aways welded for security.

oldskool

Quote from: Fugawee on February 28, 2023, 06:28:15 AMJust for clarification purposes, and nobody gets confused and is scratching their head...there was a post by the OP stating that He felt there was an issue with the Rivet(s) on the clutch shell, just above My response.
That post has since gone elsewhere.
.. yes you are correct.  My intial thought that one of the rivets was gone and I think that block may have caused the plates not being able to move freely.. It's been awhile I started to put it back together today. Question to soak or not soak the new fiber clutch discs. I just got Red Alto's

billbuilds

Yes, soak them in what ever you plan on using in the primary. How much slop is there between the shell and the hub at the rollers when clutch is hauled in? I saw a guy replace his old rollers and roller cage and it made a world of difference. This may be where you are getting your drag. 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

JSD

I like the full length rollers and ditch the cage