April 24, 2024, 06:24:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Charging issues

Started by hardtail, September 13, 2022, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardtail

I am working on a friend's bike.It's 1996 Dyna it has charging issues. The battery has 12.8 volts in it. It has a/c voltage at the stator,@ 1000 rpm it has 2.145 volts a/c at the terminals,when increase the rpm to 2000 rpm the a/c voltage goes up to 3.125. I had the friend purchase a new voltage/regulator. Installed it an the voltage in the battery only goes up to 12.45 volts. Help

Coyote

Your ac voltage readings are way too low. Your issue will be the stator is bad or the rotor isn't turning. You need to check ohms from each stator winding to ground and each to each other.

JW113

:agree:

Didn't say how many miles are on it, but indeed has 26 years if it's the original. My humble opinion is that HD stators are expendable items like oil filters. I don't recall getting much more than 70K miles on one. In operation, they run quite hot since they are always "on", putting out full current based on RPM. The excess current is shorted to ground by the regulator, which can run quite hot as well. All that heat has a way with burning up the insulation on the stator, and eventually starts shorting out windings, causing the output voltage to drop or go to zero.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

hardtail

Thanks to Coyote & JW113. Pull the stator and seen bare wires.

Coyote

Quote from: hardtail on September 13, 2022, 01:19:08 PMThanks to Coyote & JW113. Pull the stator and seen bare wires.

And black too? Yeah that'll do it.