April 18, 2024, 02:38:06 PM

News:

Front engine mount replacement 2020 FLHT

Started by les, September 12, 2022, 07:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

I'm going to replace my engine and transmission mounts with Glide Pro's.  (2020 Electra Glide)  I want to get practice and experience with a front mounts only replacement before I do the tranny mounts, so that if I ever need to replace only the fronts, I've got the technique in my back pocket.  (I have my question coming in a minute...)

The SM says to disconnect the usual expect stuff, then jack the engine up, then push the engine to the right in order to get the left front mount in its hole.

Does this actually work?  Can the engine be moved out of the way enough to get the left front mount in its receptacle?  Any tips and tricks are appreciated.  Thanks.

topcat3815

I have a 2014 Limited that I installed the glide pro front engine mounts,I dont know if there is any difference but I raised the motor enough to take tension off the front mounts then took off the right side. Then I removed the mount support then the left side came off with no problems. I dont know if this helps as Im not sure about the difference in the 2 bikes. if you do this ride the bike enough to bed the front mounts as you will feel different vibration for several hundred miles.

les

The 2014 has a sort of a cross member front mount.  The 2020 has a long bolt that goes through a long hole in the engine casing, so it's a different configuration.  The SM makes it seem easy and straight forward to remove that left front mount.  I'm skeptical and hoping for real-life experience. 

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Very similar to a Pivot Shaft. But, every thing comes out the Right Side. Just support the Motor with a wooden block. You may have to "wiggle the Motor" to get the shaft out.
Tom

les

Quote from: Pirsch Fire Wagon on September 15, 2022, 02:19:31 PMVery similar to a Pivot Shaft. But, every thing comes out the Right Side. Just support the Motor with a wooden block. You may have to "wiggle the Motor" to get the shaft out.

It's not so much the shaft, as I've swapped M8 engines a lot and that shaft is easy to take out, but rather the left front engine mount.  I want to swap that without disconnecting the engine from the transmission.

Has anyone done this, and do you have any tips and advice to get enough room to put the left front engine mount into the fixed frame hole?

les

Well, since it seems that I'm the first one ever to attempt to change a front left engine mount on an M8 (without disconnecting the engine from the tranny), I'll let you know how it went after I've given it a try.

nibroc