March 28, 2024, 06:10:28 PM

News:

Derby Cover Leak

Started by Jim Bronson, September 15, 2022, 04:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 17, 2022, 06:30:15 PMThanks for the hints. After spending a relaxing afternoon in the ER, I'll get back to it tomorrow.

So, you're just going to drop the ER thing and walk away with no explanation?
Yer killing me Smalls!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

You have to use the gasket regardless with many custom derby covers.

Jim Bronson

Remember - you asked. I've been having serious lower abdominal pain. The doc ran numerous tests and a CT scan from my chin to my pelvis, and he couldn't find the cause. Everything that could be causing it is normal. I'm guessing it is all in my mind, where the scan didn't reach. He did find a small infection on a lung lobe that was causing my cough. It seems that I have mild pneumonia. The antibiotics he prescribed should clear it up. I'll be so glad to get rid of this nasty cough. I was vaccinated against pneumonia, but I got it anyway, albeit a minor case. And now life goes on in the People's Republic.

More later on this same network --••• •••--
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 17, 2022, 07:24:33 PMYou have to use the gasket regardless with many custom derby covers.
Mine is a NOS HD version without a groove for the rubber o-ring.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 17, 2022, 08:38:34 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 17, 2022, 07:24:33 PMYou have to use the gasket regardless with many custom derby covers.
Mine is a NOS HD version without a groove for the rubber o-ring.

Yes, it's custom to that year bike. 2013 Dyna's used the o-ring from the factory with a different cover.

motorhogman

Quote from: mrmike on September 17, 2022, 08:15:00 AMNo more "O" rings for the cover? My bike is an 03 so that's what I've always used.

Mike

The o-ring is all I have ever used on my 01 FLHT. I have reused the same one several times and never a leak. And yes, I always use a torque wrench.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Jim Bronson

Can anyone spot the problem? It's kinda hard to see.  :angry: Bore scope shows the level correct.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Ohio HD

Looks like the through holes are puckered inward.

Coff 06

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 18, 2022, 11:19:36 AMLooks like the through holes are puckered inward.

I was thinking that same thing  :up:      Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

FXDBI

You need to take a stone clean that surface flat or some emery cloth on a piece of glass. A surface must be both flat and clean. Looks like its been over torqued a few times.   Bob

Ohio HD

Quote from: FXDBI on September 18, 2022, 11:32:22 AMYou need to take a stone clean that surface flat or some emery cloth on a piece of glass. A surface must be both flat and clean. Looks like its been over torqued a few times.   Bob

Or the wrong fasteners for that cover. They may need a larger head, or use washers.

Jim Bronson

Nope, not over-torqued ever ever (unless the SM is wrong). I'll reinstall the original with the rubber 0-ring. It isn't as pretty, but it won't leak.

FXDBI

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 18, 2022, 12:41:50 PMNope, not over-torqued ever ever (unless the SM is wrong). I'll reinstall the original with the rubber 0-ring. It isn't as pretty, but it won't leak.

What do you use for a 1/4 in torque wrench?  What are you using for bolts? I have had a flat cover and that gasket for 15 years now re-used it many times now, never a leak.  :scratch:   Bob

Fugawee

September 18, 2022, 12:58:21 PM #38 Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:17:01 PM by Fugawee
Whether You decide to repair Your existing Derby Cover or replace it...these may add a bit of extra Insurance against leaks, even though not specifically called for on Your Bike.

HD Part #31433-84A, which is a Seal.  HD Calls it Washer, Nylon nowadays.  It is a Metal Washer with a Rubber Seal on the Inside Diameter, that goes between the Derby Cover Screws and the Cover in addition to the Derby Cover Gasket.  These were standard equipment installed and required on many of the 90's EVO Derby and Inspection Covers. I still use them on a 94' FLH and had them on a 98' FXDWG when I owned it. Go on Ebay and type this in...Harley Part # 31433-84A, and You will see what I'm talking about.
Could possibly be a cheap fix.  Good Luck with the Bike, and Your Health Issue.

Also...those Seals go for about 2 bucks a piece depending on where You are buying.  Not 7 bucks a piece like someone is selling for on Ebay.

FSG

Fugawee

After looking at the Original Picture of the Derby Cover a few times...It almost looks to Me that there is a Dowel or Alignment Sleeve on the hole that is around 2 O'clock.  I seriously doubt that.  It could be the way My old eyes are seeing it though, but I think it is truly puckered.
I think that I would be in the Market for a new Derby Cover instead of trying to straighten all that out.  It'll make a good small parts, or cleaning tray.
But to each, their own.

Jim Bronson

I reinstalled the original with the rubber O-ring. I used 95 in/lb. with my usual 1/4" drive wrench. No time to ride today. I see HD is selling the same one that leaked except with a rubber ring. Hmmmmm... The price is ouchie though.

Thanks to all who replied. The more the merrier.

kd

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 18, 2022, 05:47:01 PMI reinstalled the original with the rubber O-ring. I used 95 in/lb. with my usual 1/4" drive wrench. No time to ride today. I see HD is selling the same one that leaked except with a rubber ring. Hmmmmm... The price is ouchie though.

Thanks to all who replied. The more the merrier.

Well those holes (and fasteners maybe) are definitely the problem. Don't go thinking a new style of gasket will  fix this properly. You'll be wasting time and money.

Out of interest, do you have a pic of the fasteners that show the style of head underneath and a pic of the outer derby cover showing the style of fastener hole?  I'm wondering if the screws are tapered head and the cover is designed for flat head.

You probably still have the option from back in post #10 but may need different screws to prevent future dimpling.  Of course replacing both with all proper parts is an option too.
KD

Jim Bronson

Everything is back to OEM now, including the fasteners that were removed with the stock cover. I'm glad I saved everything. I'll shoot photos of the fasteners that I used with the new replacement cover. I did a quick compare before I buttoned it up, and it seems the originals are better quality than the replacements that were furnished with the new cover. Stand by for more.....

Jim Bronson

20 miles today on the original cover and screws with no leaks.

Example screw/washer from cover/gasket that leaked.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 19, 2022, 05:01:56 PM20 miles today on the original cover and screws with no leaks.

Example screw/washer from cover/gasket that leaked.

What do they look like when inserted into the cover? Can't tell anything from the just the fastener.

Coyote

Don't think the screws were the problem.

kd

September 19, 2022, 05:23:58 PM #47 Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:42:24 PM by kd
Quote from: Coyote on September 19, 2022, 05:10:49 PMDon't think the screws were the problem.

:agree: If those are the same screws and washers they were not the problem.  The dimpled fastener holes however would not allow the cover to seat properly on the gasket.  It looks like a tapered screw had been used and flared the hole.  Any witness marks on the leaking cover's holes? :nix:
KD

Ohio HD

September 19, 2022, 05:30:56 PM #48 Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:44:30 PM by Ohio HD
I'm thinking the counterbore in the cover's holes is too large for the fasteners. Caused the pucker due to the gap left behind the cover by the gasket. And or the gasket's holes are too large.

The OEM gasket has small holes, and two or tree of them are small enough to thread the screws into to hold the gasket in place.

Added: And the through holes may be oversized in the cover allowing the fastener to pull through.

Coyote