April 16, 2024, 08:47:10 AM

News:

High oil pressure issue

Started by FDT, September 15, 2022, 07:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetiredBS and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FDT

I have a bit of a strange one, running an Ultima oil pump in a 09 dyna and once the engine warms up it starts to make a noise that sounds like the rear cylinder is leaking compression and idles erratically, engine runs fine at speed and power seems normal. It has 200ccp in both cylinders, leak down showed nothing, oil pressure at idle is 42 psi, after doing some searches that seemed to indicate a stuck pressure relief valve, when removing the pushrod tubes it seemed to release pressure once i broke the seal to the tappet block, haven't seen that before, took out the piston in the relief valve, didnt see any debris but i could see where it seals against the piston as there is a wear mark there,cleaned it and put it all back together and still see 42psi on cold start, give a bit of rev and pressure rises. Now i am also starting to see oil weep from the rear tappet block or cylinder base, not sure exactly which one yet, maybe both, engine is a fresh rebuild so all gaskets and o rings are new. Engine breathers are working, rear one seems to be working better than the front one as in i can feel pressure out the breather hole. Other than installing the original pump and trying again does anyone have any suggestions as what might be going on ?

JSD

Was the ultima pump fitted at rebuild?

Ohio HD

Quote from: FDT on September 15, 2022, 07:56:22 PMI have a bit of a strange one, running an Ultima oil pump in a 09 dyna and once the engine warms up it starts to make a noise that sounds like the rear cylinder is leaking compression and idles erratically, engine runs fine at speed and power seems normal. It has 200ccp in both cylinders, leak down showed nothing, oil pressure at idle is 42 psi, after doing some searches that seemed to indicate a stuck pressure relief valve, when removing the pushrod tubes it seemed to release pressure once i broke the seal to the tappet block, haven't seen that before, took out the piston in the relief valve, didnt see any debris but i could see where it seals against the piston as there is a wear mark there,cleaned it and put it all back together and still see 42psi on cold start, give a bit of rev and pressure rises. Now i am also starting to see oil weep from the rear tappet block or cylinder base, not sure exactly which one yet, maybe both, engine is a fresh rebuild so all gaskets and o rings are new. Engine breathers are working, rear one seems to be working better than the front one as in i can feel pressure out the breather hole. Other than installing the original pump and trying again does anyone have any suggestions as what might be going on ?

I might try a different oil filter to eliminate the easiest possibility. I think not real likely, but worth a try.

What about the cam plate, is it the same OEM plate from before the rebuild?

FDT

Quote from: JSD on September 16, 2022, 04:26:15 AMWas the ultima pump fitted at rebuild?
Yes
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 16, 2022, 04:54:25 AM
Quote from: FDT on September 15, 2022, 07:56:22 PMI have a bit of a strange one, running an Ultima oil pump in a 09 dyna and once the engine warms up it starts to make a noise that sounds like the rear cylinder is leaking compression and idles erratically, engine runs fine at speed and power seems normal. It has 200ccp in both cylinders, leak down showed nothing, oil pressure at idle is 42 psi, after doing some searches that seemed to indicate a stuck pressure relief valve, when removing the pushrod tubes it seemed to release pressure once i broke the seal to the tappet block, haven't seen that before, took out the piston in the relief valve, didnt see any debris but i could see where it seals against the piston as there is a wear mark there,cleaned it and put it all back together and still see 42psi on cold start, give a bit of rev and pressure rises. Now i am also starting to see oil weep from the rear tappet block or cylinder base, not sure exactly which one yet, maybe both, engine is a fresh rebuild so all gaskets and o rings are new. Engine breathers are working, rear one seems to be working better than the front one as in i can feel pressure out the breather hole. Other than installing the original pump and trying again does anyone have any suggestions as what might be going on ?

I might try a different oil filter to eliminate the easiest possibility. I think not real likely, but worth a try.

What about the cam plate, is it the same OEM plate from before the rebuild?
Yes original plate.
Since cleaning the pressure relief valve running the bike until it warms up i see the pressure does drop to 35psi and fluctuates between 32-35psi so i guess the relief valve is working now, just need to check to see if the crankcase is pressurising, i have a feeling the oil was aerating when hot possibly due to a sticking relief valve.

Geezer_Glider

Don't know if you solved it yet but it sounds like the crankcase isn't breathing. Check the head breathers for proper operation. Oil pressure seems to be OK. Cold start I've seen 60psi and warmed at speed 30 to 35 with 50wt and healthy system.
Just a suggestion,
R Meyer

JSD

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on September 25, 2022, 04:15:24 PMDon't know if you solved it yet but it sounds like the crankcase isn't breathing. Check the head breathers for proper operation. Oil pressure seems to be OK. Cold start I've seen 60psi and warmed at speed 30 to 35 with 50wt and healthy system.
Just a suggestion,
R Meyer
50wt ? you live in a hot climate

koko3052

Next oil change cut apart the filter.

FDT

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on September 25, 2022, 04:15:24 PMDon't know if you solved it yet but it sounds like the crankcase isn't breathing. Check the head breathers for proper operation. Oil pressure seems to be OK. Cold start I've seen 60psi and warmed at speed 30 to 35 with 50wt and healthy system.
Just a suggestion,
R Meyer
I think so, the breathers are working and motor seems to be running normal, i do need to take it for another ride just to be sure.