March 29, 2024, 01:37:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2019 FLHR electrical issue

Started by Blade Guy, September 16, 2022, 02:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade Guy

am having a strange and kind of dangerous issue w my 19 Road King. Started last Saturday. turned off the ignition and when i turned it back on my speedo lights were all blinking radidly. obviously it would not start so i removed the side cover and pulled the maxi fuse and put it back in. Everything was back to normal except it was cutting out as I rode it. Stopped at dealer and they recommended a battery. Changed battery and everything was ok till today when it damn near bucked me off when it started cutting out again. no way to start it so I had it towed to a dealer. Of course it appeared to work perfectly fine. Fortunately I took a video of when it was acting up so they didn't think I was crazy. Back in June it did a similar no start, pulled the maxi fuse and one of the legs was fried with melted plastic from the fuse holder all over it. So I've got something going on but not sure what. When  it cuts out it nearly pitches you off the bike. There are no electrical add ons. Basically a stock Road King. Any ideas. Dealer will probably work on it Tuesday.

Deye76

Have a friend that had the same symptoms, no codes, on a 2020 Lowrider S. Turned out to be the speedo sensor.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Dan89flstc

If the main fuse was cooked, it is from a poor electrical connection at the socket.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

rigidthumper

Any chance this was a flood bike? Any time I see melted connectors, excessive corrosion is the first thing I think of. The fix may be a new wiring harness.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Blade Guy

No this bike was purchased brand new. Am wondering if the voltage regulator is the problem. Been educating myself on the stator-voltage regulator-battery circuit. Seems likely but who knows. Would the BCM show any codes for what has been going on with the cutting out, refiring while moving at speed and stalling when moving at slow speed (turning)?

fbn ent

Sound like an intermittant short to ground to me.

possibly in the neck area but who knows. I hope you bought the warranty...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Blade Guy

Just wanted to tell you how this ended. As I said in my original post my maxifuse was starting to melt back in June. The problem I was experiencing was from the fuse holder (that was partially melted) causing an intermittent shorting out. Fuse holder replaced-all good. Battery checks out fine as does the voltage regulator. I read in another forum that the 17-19 models had issues with the contacts not being tight enough and causing the problem I had. I believe Dan89FLSTC hit it on the nose. Thx for the replies.